Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would I be crazy to buy a farm?

Posted by greenwood85 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 9:56

Most people say yes, but it seems like new small organic farms are popping up all over the place and thriving. So I'll ask the folks who know. Would I be crazy to quit a good job to become an organic farmer? Is it possible to be successful as a start-up in the current political/economical climate in our country?

I am seriously considering a change of career. I've heard rumors that Obama may offer grants or incentives for farmers willing to practice responsible farming techniques(use of cover crops, crop rotation, etc.). That sounds good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would I be crazy to buy a farm?

Yes, yes you would.

Thanks,
Me.

o
RE: Would I be crazy to buy a farm?

Most people who successfully leap into a new thing like farming would try to do it as a hobby first. After that hobby starts to pay for its self and you believe that if you devoted your full time to it that you could make a living off of it... Only then would it be an actual GOOD idea to become a full-time farmer. It may actually be very hard to get a loan for a farm if you don't have a business plan or the equipment or an agricultural job to use as a reference that you would be capable of farming on your own.

I recently bought a house. My credit score is very good, my income is better than it needs to be for the loan and I had plenty of money to put down a full 20% payment. Still, with today's loan market they had me jump through so many silly hoops to be absolutely sure that I was safe for them to give a loan to. Generally there are several checks but this time it was quite ridiculous. I imagine that for a high risk business loan the requirements would be even higher.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here