Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

Who here was interested in rice?

trudi_d
18 years ago

I'm pretty sure it was Marshall, but it might have been someone else Marshall-like (IMHO) who was posting at the SCM Convo-Pit.

Anyways, UArk just made a site on rice, and I thought I'd share the link.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: UArk ~ Rice Research and Culture

Comments (7)

• marshallz10
    18 years ago

OK Trudi, you've enticed me out of Lurkdom with your post. Yes, I am interested in growing upland rice and have been trialing different rice varieties, including several releases from U of Ark. Can't say that their rice site is as useful as it should be -- mostly promotion of Ark. rice business.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oryza sativa, is it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hmmm..

• marshallz10
    18 years ago

Thanks for the Google Scholar links; I rarely think to run searches in GS rather than PubMed or other specialized search engines.

Trudi, can you winter-sow rice? Admittedly, conventional rice is of tropical/subtropical origin; OTOH many weedy grasses associated with rice cultivation range across climates and cultures.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't know--it depends on a few things.

First, it has to produce viable seeds.

Next, it has to be able to reseed in a temperate climate. Tropical is no good, but sub-tropical isn't so iffy and does have fluctuating temps with distinguishable seasonal difference. Freezing is not needed for Winter Sowing---though many people believe so. It's named for the season, not the freezing climate.

I've so far WSed Corn, Oats, Rye, Wheat, Quinoa, Millet, Amaranthus. I haven't done rice or barley yet. I do believe that time will prove our most common grain staples can grow globally. There surely are pockets of limiting Bounded Hybrids Zones, but that would be specific occurences in specific regions of specific natural or manmade crosses. So, disregarding these few bounded hybrids, there are going to be naturally thriving and established grains for every region and zone across the continents.

To put it simply, if you know of a rice that reseeds in a temperate climate, you've got a good chance of success for WS germination. However, a long-season grain WSed in a short season climate, may not fully develop its seeds before you want them to. Choosing is important. My equivalent would be getting a letter from Northern Greenland that 90 day toms sprouted fine but were still green when winter returned. It would be better to sow SubArtic Plenty, Matina, Moscow or Early Girl, etc, instead of late season toms like Goliath or Hawaiian Pineapple.

To quote Mister Spock ~ "It is not logical."

Oryza is a Poa, as you knoa, so when you soa, make shoa it don't groa everywhere.

T--who would like to add a cautionary word about growing Quinoa.

DON'T!

It's a Chenopodium and looks and grows like 6' high Lambs Quarters on Steroids. It reseeds like it too.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Database ~ ORYZA

• marshallz10
    18 years ago

Most rice varieties I've tried need at least 100 days of warmth to set good seed in my cool coastal climate. Also, I know that volunteer rice appears in paddies in California where most of the crop is cultivated under long hot summers followed by wet winters with temperatures at night down near freezing and sometimes below freezing.

Interesting that you condemn Quinoa as a reseeding monster. I would claim that most grains and amaranths are much more likely to reseed and become pests here. Quinoa doesn't seem to be an aggressive reseeder here on the coast.

• nandina
    17 years ago

Marshall,
    Have you searched and worked your way through "International Rice Reseach Institution" sites? They are the world's rice authorities and you probably will find some way to contact them with questions. Lots of information to be found there.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nandina, IRRI is now an AgNIC Alliance Partner, as is U of Ark. IRRI joined this year. They are very, very nice people.

Here is a link that might be useful: AgNIC Partners--Who's at the bottom of that list?