Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best tasting potatoes?

Posted by champagne (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 20, 11 at 2:01

I've grown yukon gold and red potatoes the past few seasons but neither seem to have ever had very much flavor. Am I expecting too much from my home grown potatoes or am I growing the wrong kind? I'm thinking of trying German Butterball this year. Does anyone have any thoughts on that variety? Or suggestions on the most flavorful? I have pretty good soil and use lots of compost. I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best tasting potatoes?

Fingerlings like kipfler and pink fir apple are always tasty for me.
In NZ we use agrias a lot: very yellow, floury flesh, best roast potatoes ever. Desiree is also good.
I find traditional/heirloom varieties tend to taste best.
I guess varieties familiar to me may have different names, or not exist where you are!

o

It depends on what you want them for - russets and similar varieties are best for baking; thin skinned are better for other purposes. And "best tasting" is always a subjective issue. Personally, I don't think you can do better than Yukon Gold for a thin skinned variety.....and I live in the PNW also :-)

o

Thank you.... so far. (I hope to get more opinions). It matters not how I cook them. I just want something more flavorful than what I've had. Maybe I'm asking too much? Most potatoes seem tasteless to me but I've had tasty ones in the distant past.

It's not my taste buds -- they're fine. And I don't want to put on a lot of butter/salt/pepper/sour cream, etc. I just want a potato with some flavor. I'll try any variety. Yukon Gold is OK but there must be something better. Perhaps I could add something to my soil to boost flavor?

o

• Posted by shebear z8 NCentralTex (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 20, 11 at 14:15

There's a chapter on potatoes in "The Resilient Gardener" and she's in the Pacific Northwest.

Don't water them too much at the end of their life. You could be watering down the taste.

o

Thanks, shebear,

I just looked into that book and ordered (from my local independent bookseller) both of that author's --- "The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times" and "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's & Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding & Seed Saving" by Carol Deppe. Those are two books I can see will be great additions to my garden library!

o

I like Red Gold a lot, more than the other dozen or so I've tried. And they're early and high yeilding.

"kipfler and pink fir apple are always tasty for me.
In NZ we use agrias"

I'm going to check out these three. Thanks!

o

Where do you all buy your best potato seed from?? I can buy them from our local seed & feed store, but not a whole lot of varieties. I want heirloom varieties. Where is the best place to get them??? I am assuming it would have to be online somewhere.

o

I always use the red and the russet.I make a furrow and place the taters every 15".Then I put a shovel full of finished leaf compost on top of each one.Then I sprinkle some blood meal and bone meal over this and pull the soil over this.When the sprouts come up I bring more soil around each plant and mulch it with grass clippings or rain spoiled alfalfa hay.I can't count how many truck loads of horse manure I have tilled in over the years plus the compost.2 30 foot rows of these spuds last us all year and they taste great.

o

Try Kenebec or Norland Red, they're as good as Yukon Gold, but firmer. I try to grow four varieties every year -- for variety! Regards, Peter.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 0:23

Anyone tried sun chokes?

o

This is worth a look. See if it's in your local library before buying.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Potato Book

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here