Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Sourdough starter culture/a newbie question.

rredbbeard
9 years ago

I'm new to sourdough bread, but not new to cooking and baking. During these colder winter months, making something hot for dinner like bread has the advantage of warming up my home too.
I've been reading up on starter cultures, and bought a bag of liquid sourdough starter at the local natural co-op, but the stuff is barely active after 5 days of coddling, so I started a plain commercial yeast in a mason jar, and it's hyperactive of course, but not sour.
I know that almost all fruit naturally has wild yeast and bacteria on their skins. If I buy a small bunch of natural grapes, and place them unwashed in a mason jar with a 50/50 water/flour slurry for a couple of days, am I creating a health risk or a possibly decent starter? I've also read that not only does the smell have to be right, but the color of the 'hooch' should be clear tan. If it's pink or some other funky color, chuck it.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with this?

Better yet, does anyone have a good dried starter that they made themselves in exchange for a SASE, or possibly seeds that I have, or something else?

Thanks,

--Rick in CT

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz