Posted by sapam99 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 08 at 13:37

can one use, without an halth risks, Rockwool
(building material) in hydroponics.

Sapam99

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hydroponics

I think you would get a better response if you asked this in a hydroponics forum. Hydroponics and organics don't seem to have much in common.

o

Rockwool is a spun mineral product and is used in hydroponics, but as Dave stated hydroponics and organic gardening are not compatible since hydroponics relies so much on synthetic plant foods.

o

Way back when I tried to get a guy interested in organic hydroponics using dissolved organic fertilizers like milk, seaweed, and blood meal. He asked how to disinfect the mold and mildew that normally grows on his pipes and the conversation went downhill from there.

o

hi kimmsr & dchall_san_antonio,

You both are right about rockwool, but many experts
suggest compost tea with seaweed, afalfa, molases and
other organic substances, using rockwool.

Has anyone experience in hydroponics with compost tea
as the only nutrient supplier ?

Sapam99

o

If there is anyone out there successfully growing plants hydroponically with just compost tea they are being very quiet about it. I have not heard of anyone doing that, sucessfully.

o

In the traditional hydroponics implementation, I would be surprised if compost tea would support plants. Compost tea is better at providing microbes than it is at providing plant food. Hydroponics is about feeding the plant, not the soil. Compost tea "feeds" the soil by providing microbes which, in turn (3 weeks later), feed the plants. Natural plant food comes as a result of a healthy soil food web. By the definition of hydroponics, the soil food web is absent.

o

Just groping here but I would suggest, if on is really interested in elementary hydroponics using naturally available stuff you might want to look into efforts in India about half century ago. Big university libraries had periodicals with articles on such things back then.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8aS.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 21:16

Aquaponics is organic.
The OP is asking the right group to find what is not harmful to he/she. Is not that what organic gardening are all about?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here