Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Garden

Posted by debwhite0215 Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 2:57

Im brand new to this OrganicGardening and I have alot of questions to be answered, I need to know what I can do asfar as Pesticide all natural I curently have been using a mixture Im making myself out of Garlic ground up to itsy bitsy pices so it does not clog up my large sprayer I also have been using a tablespoon of anti baterial dish soap also some Cayenne epper just a pinch or so and filling th reast with water and I spray every day the soil and the plants too sometimes I also use Tabasco sauce too.I have been seeing alot of Aphids crawling in and around the soilI did see someone sayinpg that uaing Lady bugs is anothr way of ridding of these pests too PLEASE HELP IM VRY NEW TO ALL OF THIS AND ONLY BEEN DOING THIS GRDEN AND THIS IS MY VERY FIRST TIME AND I ENJOY IT SO VERY MUCH BUT I WANT TO MAKE SURE IM OING THIS RIHT AND IREFUSE TO USE ANY CHEMIALS AT ALL I WANT THIS TO BE 100% ORGANIC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Garden

Others will certainly chime in with good advice for you, but I'd say first off to stop spraying. Getting your plants wet every day can do more damage than any pests you might end up with. (can invite mildews to infect the leaves)

Just let things grow and see if anything starts eating them faster than you can. Hand picking is the most effective way to deal with a lot of pests. (the larger ones -- not aphids) If you do end up with aphids on your plants doing damage, then folks usually recommend spraying them off with a garden hose every so often.

I find that just leaving things alone for the most part, hand picking the bigger bugs when I feel like it (be sure it's a pest and not a beneficial!!) and being willing to soak my broccoli in salt water before eating it (to drive out the cabbage worms), I never have to spray with anything.

Your garden looks gorgeous, by the way!!
Especially since mine in under a LOT of snow :)

o

I agree with elisa. Except for thrips on gladiolus, corn root worm beetles on #7 planting of sweet corn, flea beetles on eggplant, some worms on fall broccoli and cauliflower and perhaps squash bugs on pumpkins, I think that most garden crops are fine without spraying..

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 12:24

Good advice will be specific to your locale. Speaking from my locale, aphids are a fact of life. I spray them with water and roll my thumb over them. Distorted leaves get harvested first. I don't spray any thing other than water as even soap kills indiscriminately. I'm after balance in my garden, not pest annihilation.

This post was edited by mrclint on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 22:27

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 12:31

I should have added a picture to my post. Here's one of my 4'x4' beds planted with arugula --using square foot gardening techniques.

o

Aphids don't crawl in and out of soil. They live on, and feed on, plants.

You can locate your county's Extension Service office with this map:
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here