Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Resisting the truth

Posted by kimmsr 4a/5b-MI (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 7:44

Some here may find this of interest.
Others will probably disparage what is written here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Resisting the truth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Resisting the truth

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 9:54

But we knew that widespread use of antibiotics was resulting in the evolution of antibiotic resistant pathogens back in the 1950's. We have been ignoring this knowledge ever since, and it's not just the FDA. It is the farmers who use the antibiotics, the federal government, all of the state governments, and the general public.

o

In about 1953 I had a summer job as a gardener in a TB sanatorium. TB sanatoriums(a?) don't exist any more because of antibiotics; but surely because of antibacterial resistance they will return. My question is: why don't we hear about phages as an anti-biotic? They remove bacteria from the bloodstream in a way that doesn't trigger resistance, or so I believe. The Russians had lots of phage hospitals; I wonder if they still do. Regards, Peter.

o

Here's the good news: in response to antibiotic resistance of MRSA and other flesh eating bacteria, maggot therapy is making a comeback.

o

My question is: why don't we hear about phages as an anti-biotic?

They work beautifully "in vitro".

==========
We had this discussion way back in the 1960s in my bacteriology classes: The problem with phages in a live infected individual is that they lyse (rupture) the bacteria when they multiply, spilling the bacterial endotoxins out into the bloodstream and tissues. That is not good for the patient - it's often fatal.

When white blood cells dispose of intact bacteria n(dead or alive), they lyse them inside the WBC, and it has ways of dealing with the endotoxins that protects the person from the toxins.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here