Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfreak_gw

Need cheap source for Kelp meal/powder. Anyone??/

gardenfreak
15 years ago

Hi:

I am looking for a cheap source of kelp meal or powder. Does anyone know where to look or order??

Thanks

Comments (16)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

I guess it depends on what you define as "cheap" :-) Kelp meal is pretty widely available from a number of online sources but whether you consider them 'cheap' is pretty subjective. Local sources - rather than mail order - may be less expensive due to the simple elimination of shipping costs.

Here is a link that might be useful: kelp meal sources

• gardenfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, right now I am buying it at a local health food store and that is by the ounce. that's good if you just want to try something out on a very small scale, but get expensive if you need a larger quantity.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

'Health food stores' have notoriously high prices for products that can be obtained elsewhere for a fraction of the cost. Have you checked out local nurseries and garden centers or feed stores? These will often have products like kelp meal available in bulk by the pound.

If you need to do mail order, GardensAlive sells a 5# bag for $12.95 or about $2.60 per pound. That comes out to around 11 cents an ounce. And the price goes down to around $1.40 a pound if you buy in a larger, 50# size. But you will need to add in shipping costs.

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

My supplier is a natural products retailer and for thorvin kelp they charge $55 per 50# bag. Shipping costs are not published and they depend upon the distance. I would suggest finding a relatively local supplier who can receive the product by common carrier and offer it at a competitive price.

• shebear
    15 years ago

Definitely try some of gardengal's suggestions. You're paying for food grade product and while you want safe stuff for the garden, you don't need food grade costs.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Several years ago I asked at Garden-Ville if I could get bulk kelp meal. They manufacture a liquid kelp product made from a dry one. The price was about $50 for 20 kg (45 pounds). Clearly I wasn't going to use 45 pounds in my lifetime so I passed on it. I believe that is a wholesale price but I could be wrong...and it has been 4 years probably. I also seem to remember something about the material being shipped from Canada.

Some of the forward thinking ranchers use kelp as a mineral supplement for their livestock. Apparently the animals crave it for about 2 weeks upon introduction and then back off to onto a more affordable routine of licking it like normal minerals. What this means is you should be able to find it at a farm and ranch store (feed store) but not at every feed store. They can probably order it for you.

• organictam
    15 years ago

I've found a good one at 7 springs farm in Virginia. They have several distributors or wil ship UPS.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Feed stores are the best place price wise. I've paid $45 dollars for 50lbs and applied it to the entire property. Once a year is optimal. Of course, I only did it once but I spray several times a year. I probably will try kelp meal before summer kicks in to see if they made any differences.

Dchall- what did you mean by not using 45lbs of it in your lifetime? The recommended rate was 10lbs per 1000 sqft, at least I think???

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

I was going to use it to spray my roses, not my lawn. Since I'm down to two rose plants...I think you see where this is going.

• art1
    13 years ago

I know kelp has gone up in price a bit since last year but I believe you can still get a fairly good deal at organicgardengrower.com especially on their 10 lb bags.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kelp Meal

• jonthepain
    13 years ago

I use liquid kelp in my garden, and even on my lawn. I buy concentrate and mix it at 3 ounces per gallon. I've only been using it for a year or so, but I have had good luck with it so far.

I buy it from Aggrand, they sell it in different quantities, but I buy the 2 1/2 gallon jug.

It lasts me all season and seemed to be the most economical way to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: aggrand kelp info

• tcstoehr
    13 years ago

My local Wilco farm/feed store carries the 50# bag for $55.

• Ruthclerk07_gmail_com
    13 years ago

i wish to buy 50# bag of this and would like to find a supplier near Grand Rapids, michigan. Anyone?

• art1
    12 years ago

Hi Ruth, OrganicGardenGrower.com has a location in the north east and sells 50# bags of both kelp and crab shell

Here is a link that might be useful: organicgardengrower.com/kelpmeal

• Cathy57
    9 years ago

My local Southern States Store was able to order it in for me. Takes a few weeks to get it after I tell them I need it but so nice not to pay shipping on it. 50lb. bag is 51.00 dollars. I feed it to my cows and will be putting it on the garden as well :)

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Cathy, this is a great suggestion. Will see if my Southern States will do the same.
    THanks!