Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thornless Blackberry zone 5/6 sweet

Posted by kept (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 11:20

Anyone know of a sweet thornless blackberry that will survive St Louis winters? It usually does not get more then 5 below zero here. If so where would I buy them?
Thanks,
Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thornless Blackberry zone 5/6 sweet

I'd look for 'Triple Crown', 'Chester' or 'Loch Ness'. All are very cold hardy and produce large, very sweet berries. Not sure where in your area they might be sold but you can find online sources - Raintree Nursery, Greenwood Nursery, White Flower Farms, possibly Stark Bros.

o

Possibly Loganberries, as from www.onegreenworld.com.

o

Stark Bros. is just up the river from St. Louis.

Triple Crown tends to die back partially here...a bit colder than St. Louie.

o

Thanks!

o

Doyle blackberry

o

My lone Doyle blackberry is only going through its second winter so I have not proved its winter hardiness nor its productivity. It has smaller berries, but is alleged to produce huge numbers of berries...though not as sweet.

tomdoyle@fruitsandberries.com

o

I ended up ordering 3 Prime Ark 45 plants. They sounded good to me because they bear the first year and are cut down in the fall after bearing. Know anything about them?
Vicki

o

kept-you might read over the instruction again! If you cut the green canes of bb's they won't bloom the following year:)

o

OK Rockguy your scaring me. Thought I was crazy and was dreaming I read something I didn't. Went back and found info on the diff between floricane plants( those that bear on second year canes and Primocane plants ( those that bear the first year.) Primocane was developed in Arkansas and it bears on first year canes, thus the name PRIME Ark 45 and can be mowed down after fall harvest.
Hope it's true. I'll let you know.
Vicki

o

I read on one site somewhere that said that blackberries draw strength from the old canes in early spring.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 21:20

Please let us know how the prime ark 45 do for you.
I have had PRIME-JIM for 3 years, it grows well in zone 8a.
But the deer love it so the berries are few. The deer keep the canes trimmed back.

o

We're in zone 5 and have had Doyle's thornless for a few years. Two plants produced 4 lbs this year.

Our area in zone 5 is the equivalent about 5 hours north of St Louis if we were directly north of St Louis.

I haven't covered them in the winters either. Just chicken wire to protect against rabbits/squirrels.

Here is a link that might be useful: UrbanFoodGrower.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here