Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Creepy yellow fungus

Posted by enoughcliches Tropical (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 5, 07 at 11:25

OK, so I just got back from a quick midnight garden inspection and had found this creepy looking yellow fungus (at least, I *think* that's what it is) growing on the soil next to one of my cannas. It's a really intense shade of of yellow and when scraped off, has the consistency of undiluted watercolour. Is it something I should be concerned about or just a helpful friend from the Soil Food Web?

Will try to post a picture tomorrow; a little too lazy to drag my notebook all the way out to snap a shot :P

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Creepy yellow fungus

Probably a dog-vomit type fungus. There's very little chance that it will harm your plants (just don't eat it).

Fungi make the nutrient in soil organic matter and in mulch available.

RE: Creepy yellow fungus

It does sound like one of the many 'creatures' we refer to as slime molds. Not a mold or fungi, at all, they are not decomposers (as was once thought) but probably feed off dead organic matter they happen to come across. Slime 'molds' can grow on concrete.

Though not a beneficial organism, slime molds are not harmful either, and should be considered something of interest. A picture would be fun! You'll probably discover that it looks different, however, when you go outside to capture it on camera!

RE: Creepy yellow fungus

sigh....went back out this morning, and it had already dried up. Just a mass of weird brown spots now :(

Will keep up my hopes of catching it again, or perhaps something of a different colour, hmmmmm....

RE: Creepy yellow fungus

I am so glad I found this post. When we first saw slime mold in our garden, we thought that the cats in the neighbourhood had eaten something terrible and spat it out on our lawn. Then we realised that it had a dense yellow cotton candy effect and when poked with a stick, emitted a powdery substance. After noticing this, we thought we had some dreadful problem on our hands. By seeing this post, I did a quick check in online on slime mold and found pics of the culprit.

RE: Creepy yellow fungus

Yup, slime mold commonly known as Dog Vomit Fungus. No need to do anything unless the look is realy repulsive and then you could wash it away or rake it in to the mulch.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here