Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wow, lots of white powdery stuff on outside of terra cotta pots

Posted by hoorayfororganic 6b Massachusetts (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 26, 07 at 11:42

Is this calcium from my tapwater, or something?

Defnitly not mold, but is powdery and hard to get off the pot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wow, lots of white powdery stuff on outside of terra cotta po

It's likely a build-up of salts (from your water and/or your fertilizer) left on the outside of the container. Clay pots 'breathe' through micropores, and the salts are left behind as solids when the H20 evaporates.

A stiff or wire brush may help. If these are empty containers, you can soak them in a strong vinegar solution before taking a brush to them.

o

Rinse/scrub off as much as you can before you reuse the pots, especially inside the pot - if you stack them, what's on the outside will get to the inside of the lower pot. Too much salts, from fertilizer or anything, will burn plant roots. Try to cut down on your rate of fertilizing next summer - you are overdoing it a bit, it seems. And do water really strongly every so often, so the water runs freely out the bottoms of the pots, so you don't get a salt build-up on the top of the soil as the fertilizer(s) you used dissolved.

o

im fertilizing with neptune's 1 time every 1-2 weeks. i have a feeling it's what's in the tapwater, because it's happening with somene else, on a different fertilizer regime (much less than I do)

o

That is called "efflorescence" and is the dry deposits of calcium from the pots soil, or maybe even what the terra cotta pot is made from, as moisture moves from inside the pot to the outside, evaporation. Some people believe this adds character to their pots and leave it and many ancient pots have a lot of it and still grow plants quite well.
Because the deposits are calcium (mostly) and are alkaline a wash of a vinegar (acid) solution will remove it best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Efflorescence

o

Just water hardness plating out there. I kind of like it on my teracotta pots- gives them a neat "old world aged" look, IMO. Sometimes it bunches up nasty, though.

o

I also have a lot of white powdery stuff all over everything in my yard. It is called snow. But I guess that isn't what you mean. :-) Getting quite tired of it snowing all the time, although the shovelling is certainly good exercise. Have been reading my numerous gardening catalogs for solice.

Marcia, smart aleck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here