Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
organic soil drench for insects prior to planting?

Posted by luvpatch 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 13:44

Hi! I have a large flower bed that this winter something destroyed half my violas in the bed. Overnight the whole plant would die and was able to be lifted up like something had destroyed the roots. I have pulled all that out and now want to prepare the bed for spring planting. Is there something organic that I could drench the soil with would prevent that from happening to my spring plants? Thanks so much for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: organic soil drench for insects prior to planting?

What do you see, when you dig up the area? For just a few plants, I would suspect gophers or moles.

How is the drainage in that bed? Have you previously had successful plantings in same area?

Without knowing just why the plants died, would be hard to know what preventive measures would be needed.

o

This is a common problem here in the south. Can't tell you what causes it; maybe voles/moles. But I do know how to stop it. I keep an old plastic watering can just for this purpose which I fill to the top with water and then stir 3 tablespoons of castor oil using a long stick because this is a gooey mess. Plant the plants and water them in with the contents of the watering can. Repeat watering once more a week later. Tough to convince gardeners to use this method, but when they do they are pleased with the results.

o

Voles, not moles, will eat plant roots so if the plants died overnight most likely it was voles. Any soil drench that might be effective against soil dwelling insects will also kill off the Soil Food Web necessary to grow the plants you have. Insects will not devour plant roots that quickly, anyway.

o

If these are young plants the problem might be cutworms. Using any kind of systemic poison without identifying the problem is not compatible with good organic practice, and likely a waste of time and money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here