Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery Mildew- treating soil?

Posted by sunnyvalley AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 16:45

I just lost all my zucchini to powdery mildew, probably let it go too far before treating since I've never dealt with that before. I sprayed with anything I read about- baking soda, milk, tea tree oil, oregano oil, but it only got worse, and I pulled the plants last week. I need to learn from this before my next crop!

We're having a warm and dry winter in Phoenix, weatherwise I think it'd be fine to start some replacements now, but I'm worried about the PM. I see spots of it on random weeds in my yard, which I don't understand since it's not humid, and those have nothing BUT sun and airflow.

Would I be dooming my new plants if I started now, or is there no point in waiting? Should I bother spraying the soil with anything?

I always end up getting my best garden tips from this forum so I thought I'd ask you folks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery Mildew- treating soil?

Powdery Mildews are plant specific, and no part of the life cycle involves soil - they are always associated with plant tissue. The link below will give you some good info, but the treatment recommendations are:

Control:

Several practices will reduce or prevent powdery mildews. Many plants, such as roses, vegetables and Kentucky bluegrass, are developed to be resistant or tolerant to powdery mildew. Use resistant varieties whenever possible.

Once the disease becomes a problem:
� Avoid late-summer applications of nitrogen fertilizer to limit the production of succulent tissue (which is more susceptible to infection).
� Avoid overhead watering to help reduce the relative humidity or water in the early morning to let the tissue dry as soon as possible.
� Remove and destroy all infected plant parts (leaves, etc.). For infected vegetables and other annuals, remove as much of the plant and its debris in the fall. This decreases the ability of the fungus to survive the winter. Do not compost infected plant debris. Temperatures often are not hot enough to kill the fungus.
� Selectively prune overcrowded plant material to help increase air circulation. This helps reduce relative humidity and infection.
� An alternative nontoxic control for mildew is baking soda combined with a lightweight horticultural oil. Researchers at the University of Rhode Island have confirmed that a combination of 1 tablespoon baking soda plus 2.5 tablespoons oil in 1 gallon of water is effective against powdery mildew on roses. Use of this combination on other crops is still experimental.

Here is a link that might be useful: Powdery problems

o

Just to reinforce what Bil has already written, while Powdery Mildew does have its optomal growth when the weather is warm and humid that does not mean it will not grow at other times and under other circumstances.
I have had good success using a 50/50 mix of fat free milk and water to control PM

Here is a link that might be useful: Powdery Mildew

o

Bil1me,
How well does the 2.5 tblspoons of oil, mix in the water?

o

Not well at all, but that makes it stick to the plant. You need a nozzle on your sprayer that won't clog up with the baking soda, and shake it like Helga.

o

• Posted by feijoas Temperate New Zealan (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 19:20

I assume you're talking about last season? Even with the best conditions, cucurbits generally succumb at the end of the season. By then, I'm so tired of zucchini it comes as a great relief!
I find keeping cucurbits very well watered and mulched in very well-composted soil holds off pm.
I'm pretty sure, despite what you'd think about fungi thriving in high humidity, pm tends to take hold when plants are weakend by dry conditions.
I'm spraying my cucurbits with foliar fertilisers and they still look really healthy, with no pm. Usually by now it would be showing up.

o

feijoas, I have talked with a number of people, over the years, about Powdery Mildew and it is one difficult to control plant disease. Some of these people, myself included, seem to have some success controling PM by periodically hosing susceptible plants down. That seems to wash off any of the PM spores. I realize this is contrary to what many advise on the thought that hosing tghe leaves down would increase the humidity around them and therefore make conditions for PM better. But if washing your hands helps prevent disease transmission for you why would not the same thing, kind of, not do the same for your plants?

o

g'day SV,

for me i get powdery mildew mostly only when the plant is coming to the end of its productive life, at that stage i see it as the plant is running short of resources, like old age in human's.

we have a milk recipe on our remedies page:

also i plant PM susceptible plants in well drained soil and in a breezy position lots of air movement to keep foliage dry, never water over the foliage just around the roots.

when we get PM it starts with the oldest leaves but eventually brings about the finish of the plant.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens remedies page

o

I agree. Even with plants that are relatively close, the older ones seem vulnerable while the younger ones are still impervious.

o

I have read that PM survives in the soil. I live in southern Oregon on the coast, lots of fog. I have used the baking soda and water and am having great luck with that on my zucchini plants. I have a small garden but I do rotate the "crops" each year. How do I make sure the PM is no longer in the soil?

o

The spores that cause Powdery Mildew need plant debris to exist, so they may live on any plant debris in the soil but they will not survive in just soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Powdery Mildew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here