Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill/control potato wireworms

Posted by burro 5 NEPA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 18:06

Hello, smart people! I've had hands in the soil 15 years now, and have only two very serious pest problems -- squash bugs and nasty wireworms. I have tried many things, all organic, including putting "lure" potatoes on sticks in the beds before planting the real thing. Also, I rotate crops religiously. But somehow the nasty orange unsquishable things survive. Any ideas, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill/control potato wireworms

Parasitic nematodes. Some authorities seem to think they are bigger problems in poorly draining soil, soils recently in sod, and soils lacking adequate levels of organic matter. These are the larva of click beetles and the eggs that become these larva are laid each spring and as you have seen crop rotation does little to help control them. Planting later could also help.

o

I did a great deal of internet searching on this subject last year. A friend has the wireworm problem in his garden. I was unable to find a pesticide that would eradicate them. IIRC, one extention service suggested planting in alfalfa for several years.

My friend tilled during some warm weather, allowed the birds to eat the exposed larvae that weren't chopped up by the tiller, and that he didn't crush under heel. He tilled again just before planting to attempt to destroy more of the vile creatures.

He still has a relatively small infestation. I think it will take years to completely be rid of them.

o

I do know that wire worms are less apt to drill into potatoes if you plant them whole and do not cut them into pieces.

Wireworms also infect carrots/radish and I have trialed and suggested the following to gardeners dealing with that problem and they report success. Dig planting row. Heavily spread dried molasses (or granulated sugar can be used) down the row. Then spread even handfuls of cheap, fresh, UNCOOKED coffee grounds on top of the sugar. Do not stir to incorporate. Plant potatoes. When you do your first raking in of soil around the potato growth work in handfuls of the dried molasses for extra insurance. Should work. Try it. Let us know, please.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here