Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

Natural way to control leaf footed bugs?

zzackey
11 years ago

I've killed 3 leaf footed bug instars this week in the greenhouse. Is there a natural way to prevent them?

Comments (12)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

It's time to research what the eggs of these insects look like (they're destinctive) and go on a daily hunt and squish. Neem oil, a botanical product, works as a growth regulator for those insects that actually ingest the neem on plant tissues and in sap.

You'll need to be cautious about using neem in a greenhouse, if it heats up during the day.

• ga_karen
    11 years ago

Zack, there is a gal in Fl. that uses some kind of a powder. I'll have to ask her what it is but it covers the plants and seems to work very well for her...she had a real problem until she tried it. It looks like the plants are covered in talc powder!

• zzackey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I refuse to use chemicals! I had to spray weekly with a back pack sprayer when I worked at a nursery. I can't stand the smell of them and I cough just thinking about it! LOL! I inspected the pepper plant and the rosemary and I didn't see any more.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Keep in mind that all of the acceptable organic pesticides are chemicals and inappropriate use of them can create more problems then they solve because they can be broad spectrum poisons just as the synthetic insecticides are.
    Pest control starts with understanding your target and determining if that pest is causing enough harm to warrent control, the simple presence of a potentil insect pest does not mean some poison needs to be applied.
    If some means of control is necessary then find the least toxic method that might work. That may not mean reaching for Neem Oil products right off and may mean a simple spray of water is all that is needed.
    Apply that least toxic means of control.
    Monitor that application, keeping in mind that it may take some time for organic methods of control to work.
    Review.
    Many insect pests can be controlled by predatory insects and birds, but poisons can do them great harm just as they can harm the insect pests.

Here is a link that might be useful: leaf footed bug controls

• zzackey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess you didn't read my previous post. I don't use chemicals!

• ga_karen
    9 years ago

Sorry I never got back to this. My friend was using a powder that starts with a "k" and she is totally organic! I still need to ask her what it was since I now have the same problem she had!

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I refuse to spray anything after having to spray once a week for a year with backpack sprayer when I worked in a nursery. It's probably was one of the reasons I have mild COPD. We live less than a mile from a big cotton farm. They are almost non-existent until the cotton plants start growing.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link, Kimmsr. Yes, Rhizo, they do have a very unusual egg formation. Unfortunately we are surrounded by acres of weedy lots. I noticed the article said they like to lay their eggs on weed leaves.

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

I've never used it myself, but I think your friend must be using a kaolin clay powder, ga.karen?

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

What Karen may be referring to could be Surround, a Kaolin clay product that can be sprayed onto plant leaves that disguises the leaves so insect pests do not recognize them. It is available in garden centers as both a wettable powder and a slurry.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I've never seen Surround sold as a slurry. I'm wondering about that.

It's a wettable powder that is mixed with water to make a suspension. It's not applied as a powder.

It works very well for what I use it for.