Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone make their own ultrafine oil spray?

Posted by honu z11 HI (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 21:04

Trying to get rid of tomato bugs, and insecticidal soap isn't working. Ultrafine oil was recommended to me, but the ones in the soil are petroleum based. If you have made and used your own oil spray from cooking oil, would you share your recipe, please? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone make their own ultrafine oil spray?*

• Posted by honu z11 HI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 21:05

Oops, meant to say "the ones in the STORE are petroleum based".

o
RE: anyone make their own ultrafine oil spray?

I know a number of people who use PAM cooking spray on waterlilies for aphids. I think PAM is vegetable oil based? I would experiment first on a small area.

o

Heres a link for a recipe for using canola oil as dormant oil spray. I read somewhere that canola oil has some insecticidal properties. Not sure what the proportions would be for summer weight spray but probably not too hard to figure out.

Here is a link that might be useful: A less toxic dormant oil spray

o

What kind of bugs are on your tomatoes? Hornworms?

o

...just visiting...suggest the Gardens Alive Catalogue for horticultural oil products (canola;cottonseed oil). I would imagine their fomulations (which might include specific adjuvants)have passed series of testing...
http://www.GardensAlive.com

o

Wed, Mar 1, 06 at 14:35

Pablo, our tomato bugs, Cyrtopeltis modestus, are not worms, they are true bugs, insect order, Hemiptera.

Kat, thanks for the Canola oil info and recipe for dormant oil.
(Not sure what the proportions would be for summer weight spray but probably not too hard to figure out.)
Actually, I wouldn't know how to figure how to make this into ultrafine, having no prior experience w/ oil sprays, and would appreciate if anyone could share their tried and true homemade recipe.
Thanks!

o

Sorry, I have not used any oil based spray's lately cause I have a west facing balcony in central TX and it gets HOT! But until I burned some plants by spraying neem oil in the late afternoon (which is the hottest time of the day on my balcony) I think I used 1 tblsp per gallon. Here's a recipe I found on the web

RECIPE: homemade Horticultural Oil spray:KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN!
1 tablespoon vegetable cooking oil (corn, soybean, peanut or sunflower) per gallon of water. To increase efficiency, add 1 teaspoon of NON-DEGREASING liquid dishwashing detergent per gallon of water (addition of soap increases the risk of plant injury)

Hope that helps.

o

Thu, Mar 2, 06 at 2:58

Thanks Kat, I'll try it!

o

Have you tried this oil and soap recipe and did it work?
K_G

o

Sun, Apr 2, 06 at 5:57

KG, yes, I tried it a few times, but no success. However, we've been having severe wet weather, which may have affected the results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here