Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best sugar snap pea varieties?

Posted by egganddart49 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 23:57

What are your favorites, and why? Sugar Snap, Sugar Ann, other? I'm going to try them this year. I usually grow shell peas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best sugar snap pea varieties?

I like the dwarf sweet pea, grows about 2 feet tall and the pods mature fast and can get very big.

o

I like the "Super Sugar Snaps"

Ron
The Garden Guy
http://www.thegardenguy.org
"Read articles & journal entries"

o

I too like the Super Sugar Snaps

o

I always used to grow Sugar Snap or Super Sugar Snap, but last year (must have been the end of the season), I ordered from Stokes and they sent me, unsolicited, about 5 lbs of seed for Cascadia, which is a dwarf snap pea. I planted some of them last year for a fall crop, and they did great, nice large pods. But, the best thing about them, the shorter vines didn't overgrow the trellis and collapse as some of my full-sized peas do. So, I am now rethinking my pea growing, and have ordered mostly dwarf types for this year.

Dennnis
SE Michigan

o

Thanks. Do you stagger planting dates of peas? I've always planted them all at once, in early spring. But the harvest period is only a couple of weeks.

Or do you plant varieties that ripen at different rates?

Finally, how do you know when the sugar snaps are ready to eat?

o

I would suggest two early plantings of the same variety a couple weeks or so apart. Then you can plant a fall planting.

They are ready for picking when the peas in the pods are to fully developed, but before the pods start to turn a bit silver colored. Even then you can shell out the larger more mature peas.

o

Thanks, Wayne

o

I planted a sugar snap variety last year that had mauve flowers. I don't recall the name. It's growth was prolific and it had lots of pods but they swent stringy very fast. That's a variety I won't plant again. Anyone recognize this variety?

o

I planted a variety called "dwarf grey" this spring. It has purplish mauve flowers. It has an ABUNDANT crop of nearly inedible, stringy, tough pods. This may be the same variety you had trouble with.
I live in Ohio and our weather has been one extreme to another so far, so I thought that might have been the problem. Could just be the variety now that I know someone else had problems.

o

I grew both Sugar Snap and Super Suger Snap this year with the idea of comparing them. Not a huge difference but the SSS's flowered and bore pods about 5 days in advance of the SN's. The heights were identical up until about 5 feet when the SN's outpaced the SSN's growth. Only about a foot difference at the end of the season, but they are both taller than my 6.5' trellis so the SSN is better for me. The SSN pods seemed to plump up faster and do taste a little better. I am switching from SN to SSN going forward.

o

Love Cascadia.

o

I also love Cascadia! In my yard, between Sugar Snap, Cascadia, and Sugar Ann, Cascadia has the best growth habit (a manageable size), is the most productive (although Sugar Ann may not be a fair comparison), and is the tastiest.

o

I didn't like the Cascadia as well...just to be contrary.

o

I switched to a couple of short varieties this year, Cascadia and Sugar Daddy. Neither one seemed very sweet like I would expect from a snap pea and the production was low. Maybe it's because of the weather this year, I don't know. Amish Snap, a tall variety, was pretty good when I tried it last year. And Sugar Snap has always been reliable and sweet for me.

Rodney

o

I liked Amish snap also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here