Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

A call to Action against some very scary legislation

rjinga
15 years ago

THIS IS NOT A JOKE, NOR SPAM OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT, I am not an organic farmer, but I do have a green house and a garden and intend to sell my produce at local farmers markets, so this affects even me the very small scale individual....These are bills being considered currently on the Floors of Congress, and they MUST BE STOPPED....the bills in question could take control and monitor, regulate and penalize YOU for growing and producing food that is not under the governments thumb. This regulation and control could affect in a very negative way organinc farms, farmers markets, CSA's, the home garden, road side stands, the patch you have in your back yard for your family....The bill is so vague that it seriously could legitamately fine private citizens who attempt to grow their own food.

HR875

S425

But dont take my word for it, google it, please research this so you can read it yourself, but dont just read it and do nothing, everyone of us have a vested interest in making sure that this bill is withdrawn from the floors of Congress. The capital switch board number is 202-224-3121, call today and leave messages of speak to your representatives about this bill.

PLEASE dont think that they wont pursue this, they have much to gain and nothing to lose. Just another example of our corrupt government and the greedy rich getting richer by using OUR government elected officials to further their agendas.

I cannot tell you how disgusted I am with this...but I fear it's just the beginning, our government is spiraling out of control, over spending, over regulation, under regulating in areas that need the oversight most. It's a very scary time. But WE CAN AND MUST stand up and fight back on this.

Comments (10)

• discocarp
    15 years ago

This is the bill DeFazio is cosponsoring. You remember Peter DeFazio. He is the politician responsible for the organic label on food, a high ranking member of the congressional organic caucus. Ya he'd jump right on criminalizing organic farming. lol.

Too much fear, not enough facts on this bill.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess you can all pooh pooh this if you must. I personally do not trust our government enough to give them the benefit of the doubt. Call me paranoid, call me crazy, but you will not call me naive.

I have seen far too many "good" politicians bought and paid for, everyone has their price.

It is far too naive to think that this could not be passed or that it's intention is NOT to take more control and within the legal mumbo jumbo that NO ONE WILL READ CAREFULLY, it squeezes out the small farmer or anyone else not in compliance.

Look at the recent activities and controversy surrounding issues only NOW being discovered on the stimulus packages, documents with who knows what amounts of pork and excess added in, that most voting on it never even read.

I personally would rather be proactive than naive. IF when it's all said and done, it's harmless, than great. IF no one draws attention to it and it's contents, then shame on you if it passes and it happens to have negative consequences to the little guys.

• discocarp
    15 years ago

No you are actively advocating stopping the bill entirely. What specifically (please quote the appropriate pages) do you have a problem with and why? Why do you want to stop a food safety bill entirely rather than drawing attention to SPECIFIC problems that could still be fixed (as this bill is still moving through)? I am certainly not claiming this bill is perfect, but I want to see *specific* complaints if you are going to call me into action (and I am a regular caller of my senators and rep).

My problem is I see somebody is astroturfing (not blaming you, maybe blaming your sources if you had any posted) against this bill on forums and blogs all over (from politics to gardening to environmental) without specific complaints, just paranoid nuttiness.

• discocarp
    15 years ago

Here is some specific language from the bill. Note what is excluded from the term "food establishment" in section 14:

(13) FOOD ESTABLISHMENT-

(A) IN GENERAL- The term 'food establishment' means a slaughterhouse (except those regulated under the Federal Meat Inspection Act or the Poultry Products Inspection Act), factory, warehouse, or facility owned or operated by a person located in any State that processes food or a facility that holds, stores, or transports food or food ingredients.

(B) EXCLUSIONS- For the purposes of registration, the term 'food establishment' does not include a food production facility as defined in paragraph (14), restaurant, other retail food establishment, nonprofit food establishment in which food is prepared for or served directly to the consumer, or fishing vessel (other than a fishing vessel engaged in processing, as that term is defined in section 123.3 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations).

(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term 'food production facility' means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

• discocarp
    15 years ago

The part of the bill I specifically have serious questions about is section 206. It seems overly broad (but not anything close to the paranoia expressed by some). Note that these records and inspections are ALREADY required by organic certifying agencies. Any farm already covered by the usda national organic program (NOP) is already keeping these records available for (sometimes unannounced) inspection. I don't think any of this rises to the level of paranoia I see around the internet, but there are some serious questions about this part of the bill.

SEC. 206. FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITIES.

(a) Authorities- In carrying out the duties of the Administrator and the purposes of this Act, the Administrator shall have the authority, with respect to food production facilities, to--

(1) visit and inspect food production facilities in the United States and in foreign countries to determine if they are operating in compliance with the requirements of the food safety law;

(2) review food safety records as required to be kept by the Administrator under section 210 and for other food safety purposes;

(3) set good practice standards to protect the public and animal health and promote food safety;

(4) conduct monitoring and surveillance of animals, plants, products, or the environment, as appropriate; and

(5) collect and maintain information relevant to public health and farm practices.

• dicot
    15 years ago

It's in committee. I'd prefer to see the bill modified rather than killed, as it address areas that need better regulation. The over-reaction to this bill makes some sensible, concerned people come off as wackos. Practical, targeted re-wording suggestions to members of the House ag subcommittee seems a better route that frantic phone calls to the Capitol swichboard.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

I have been to the Organic Consumers Association web site and can find nothing there to support some of the wild claims about HR 875. I have looked over the web site of Organic Gardening magazine and can find nothing there to indicate fear of HR875. I have been to the Acres USA web site and can find nothing there to indicate they are concerned about HR 875.
    There has been an Office of Food Sfaety in the FDA for years, but since the Reagon Administration and the very large cutbacks in funding this office has not been able to do the job they are supposed to, as the Food and Drug Administration has been unable to do the job it was meant to.

• freemangreens
    15 years ago

Rumor has it Monsanto is pushing this bill. Google "Round-up Ready Soy" and see what a mess that is, then make up your own mind.

It's all about money and power and Monsanto has both, but wants more. Monsanto wants to patent every seed on the planet.

Ever wonder what happened to all the bees? Ask Monsanto.

• gargwarb
    15 years ago

Wow I was all for this bill at first. But now....whoa! Look at all the capital letters in rjinga's posts. Man, that stuff sure is scary now. I also don't believe anything that anyone types, until they have the gumption to hit the caps locks because if it's in caps, it has to be true. And I had no idea that there were rumors about Monsanto! Rumors I tell you!! Those scare me into blind flailing action like nobody's business!

Few things discredit what a person says quite like said person doling out half understood concepts with a heaping helping of hysteria.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County