Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvpatch2

Control of Whiteflies around entire yard

luvpatch2
13 years ago

Hi! I really need some help. I have a problem with whiteflies in and around my entire yard that are destroying alot of my plants. I have ammended the soil in both my lawn and flower beds using Humates, Cotton Burr, Micro Life for fertilizer. I have sprayed my entire yard with seeweed and molasses. I've put out sticy traps. I've used the soap recipe using dawn soap plus vegetable oil. I've also sprayed with neem oil (what is the concentration of neem oil on a hose end sprayer?). I feel like I am loosing the battle. My big problem is I am having Professional landscapers come in 2 weeks to landscape the front of my house. I don't want to be spending several thousand dollars for this if white flies are going to destroy them. I would love to have any suggestions on what I can do. The whiteflies seem concentrated in my boxwood shrubs and other green shrubs in my yard plus my hibiscus plants. Thanks so much!

Comments (10)

• jolj
    13 years ago

Ladybugs!

Here is a link that might be useful: organic white fly control

• jean001a
    13 years ago

Whiteflies, even if all over the yard, are seasonal.

I suggest you contact your county's Extension Service office to verify the ID, also for effective management options.

Use this clickable USDA map to locate your county's office:
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's extension service office

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

Dawn is a detergent, not a soap, and has little to no insecticidal properties, you need to use a real soap to make an Insecticidal Soap spray. Contact your local Texas A & M Cooperative Extension Serice office about identifying these properly and also about having a good reliable soil test done.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Whiteflies

• jolj
    13 years ago

What did you try?
    What worked for you?

• luvpatch2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi jolj

Ive tried a homemade concoction of dish soap and oil in a mixture that was sprayed using a hose end ortho sprayer. I've tried insecticidal soap then a few days later neem oil most recently. I've tried a bug blaster with a strong spray. I've sprayed entire yard with seaweed and molasses which was a recommendation by "Soil Menders". I've added microlife to flower bed and lawn instead of regular fertilizers that I use to use as I've heard that helps. I've also ordered lacewing beneficial insects which I put out 2-3 weeks ago but I'm afraid that all the other spraying has probably killed them. I ordered the lacewings in shipments of 3 so I have 2 more shipments to come. I've tried spraying with the soaps and neem every 4-5 days as suggested . Nothing seems to be working. I'm going to try and check with county extension office as someone earlier suggested! This has just been terrible! I'm afraid to plant new plants. The whiteflies have destroyed alot of my plants such as violas, pansies , by new geraniums and are also affecting some other plants. They seem to be living in my boxwood shrubs and lingustrums and also some shrubs in my back yard that have red berrries on them. Thanks for suggestions!

• rfonte649
    13 years ago

Garlic Oil Spray
    10-15 cloves of minced garlic
    2 tsp. mineral oil
    600 ml water
    1 tsp. liquid dish soap
    Soak garlic in mineral oil for 24 hours. Strain garlic out and add 600 ml water and 1 tsp. liquid dish soap. Mix thoroughly. Spray plants with this solution.
    Pests affected: Aphids, spider ites, and whiteflies

Try this one, it works for me.

• SoTX
    12 years ago

Garlic is non-selective--kills the good bugs, too. I use shoofly (nicandra physaloides) for control in the greenhouse after trying everything else. It is easy to grow, pretty blue flowers, and reseeds.

I also leave my wasps alone to do their job. I have yellowjackets and red hornets & they keep the plants free of aphids, etc. Make sure they have a water source & watch for them when you're working with plants.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

I've also ordered lacewing beneficial insects which I put out 2-3 weeks ago but I'm afraid that all the other spraying has probably killed them.

Sweet.

I see no mention of trapping, which will supplement the proper spraying, as the flies that are flying when spraying won't be affected.

Dan

• marymd7
    12 years ago

Yellow sticky traps.

• Kimmsr
    12 years ago

While this article is about whitefly control in the greenhouse it does have information that can help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitefly control

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting