Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandond_gw

Molasses ?

brandond
15 years ago

I was wanting to incorporate blackstrap molasses into my feeding program. I called my local feed store and was inquiring about blackstrap molasses. They dont carry that form. They do carry something similar from Quality Liquid Feeds which is the brand. I went to their website and it just said that they use a form of molasses that has trace minerals and soluable forms of phosphorus. Would this be ok to use? They alaos carry alfalfa meal and soybean meal. I want to use all three as each one brings something a bit different to the table of organic fertilizer.

Comments (9)

• cowgirl2
    15 years ago

Dairy cows are given molasses during the winter. Quite tasty it is. It is usually sold in 45 gal. drums.

I assume you are adding molasses/sugar/carbohydrate to feed the micro-organisms in the soil. So it doesn't matter what type of molasses. All the other additions are also good for the soil.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

That's a good plan. Often you can find molasses in bulk at farm and ranch co-op stores. If you bring your own container they will fill it for the commodity price of molasses. Often that means you can get a gallon for about a dollar.

• sirilucky
    15 years ago

Molasses is a thick by-product from the processing of the sugar beet or sugar cane into sugar.Molasses is used to be the primary sweetener and a distinctive flavor that brings extra sparkle to spice-laden recipes such as gingerbread, fruitcake, cookies, toffee, baked beans, and sauces.There are three grades of molasses, Mild or first molasses, Dark or second molasses, and Blackstrap. And absolutely you can use Quality Liquid Feeds.

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

Compost tea recipes usually call for unsulphured, there is also dried available that might be good for feeding a garden bed. What ''feeding program'' are you speaking of?

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

My local feed store does not offer liquid molasses for sale although an affiliated store some distance away does. I have not inquired if small quantities can be purchased. My local coop does however sell 50# bags of dehydrated molasses for $16.50. Does anybody have information regarding dilution rates for applying this to soil as a liquid or application rates as a dry material on the surface to be watered in or incorporated through rainfall?

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

I stay far away from dry molasses. Fifty pounds of dry molasses is made by pouring 15 pounds of wet molasses (about $1.50 worth) onto 35 pounds of crushed corn cobs or other farm waste products. It does not dissolve. Once you open the bag you have to use it right away. If you don't it will absorb humidity from the air and glue itself into a large brick.

If you are going to use it anyway, I would start at a rate of 10 pounds per 1,000 square feet and see if that does anything for you. Give it 3 full weeks to see any results.

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

Many thanks.

• maplerbirch
    15 years ago

DC, I picked up a bag of dehydrated molasses and as I read the label, there was nothing to concern me much accept the salt. It is cattle feed so salt is always good for flavor, but how much do they put in?
    It was at the bottom of the list and the guy didn't know.

Is there a way to find out it this is not good to use? Too much can be a bad thing, is my guess.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

I never use enough of anything to worry about sodium.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner