Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
warming soil for early planting ?

Posted by mandolls 4 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 11:26

I have some raised beds that I want to try covering with frames of greenhouse plastic and extending my growing season (last frost here is May 31st)

Right now the beds still have 6-10 inches of snow accumulation, but it is 50 and raining this weekend so I should have access soon.

Is it a good idea to lay black plastic down for a week or so to warm up the soil? I am only planting cold season vegetables - broccoli, cabbage, peas, lettuce spinach, radish. I am hoping to get them in the ground by mid April (though that may be pushing it).

Will the plastic potentially cook the beneficial in the soil? Does this sound like a good idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: warming soil for early planting ?

Done all the time. I use a film from Johnny's.

Dan

o

If it's after the snow disappears, I would be more inclined to use clear plastic.

o

The farmer in my neighborhood uses plastic occasionally on his vegetable fields. Right now for example he has clear plastic on this rhubarb field:

Rubarb

Notice how much bigger the plants are where the plastic is.

o

I would use the black plastic directly on the soil - for a couple of weeks to defrost everything, then use a clear plastic to cover the beds after planting. I already have both, so its not an extra expense.

I assumed the black plastic would attract the heat from the sun better than clear and warm it all up faster.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 18:15

Everyone is right in the above posts.
But it is only fair to tell you that sometimes plastic mulch can be a pain to remove.

o

But it is only fair to tell you that sometimes plastic mulch can be a pain to remove.

True dat. I should have done some today, but was successful in finding something more fun to do with the kid.

Dan

o

Clear plastic should warm the soil more than black plastic.

o

If the research done at several universities can be believed clear plastic applied to soils in the sun will warm that soil sooner because the suns rays will strike the soil. If black, or other opaque colors are used, the sun heats the plastic which in turn heats the soil through heat transfer. White or silver colored plastic reflects the suns rays and does not contribute any warming affect.
Since plastic is made of non renewable resources we need to question if using them in an organic garden is really acceptable.

o

Thank you all for the feedback. I am surprised to hear that the clear will warm the soil better than the black. I was thinking black because of people using it for solarization of soils, and gallon jugs used as heat sinks in cold frames are painted black as well.

Kimmer - the roll of black plastic that I have (6ml) was given to me by a friend who had lots left over from a roofing project, so it is better to use it than throw it in a landfill. Are there actually modern organic gardeners who use no plastics of any kind in their practice? I'm not sure I could operate without 5 gallon buckets, cell trays, plastic pots or hoses.

o

Mandolls, The reason for black objects in coldframes is that the black absorbs heat [good in coldframes]. White reflects heat away [good in certain instances]. And clear lets the heat pass through to the soil [good in soil warming and solarizing instances.

Kimmsr. I reuse many times many of the plastic pots and IRT plastic mulch.

o

The reason I use dark film (from Johnny's) is if you aren't careful with the clear plastic, it can get too hot. You solarize the soil in summer with clear plastic.

Dan

o

OK - Thanks for straightening me out. That's why I asked.

Clear plastic it is.

Thanks!

o

I only use and recomend clear plastic on the soil for early spring and for cold and wet conditions into some of May.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 22:29

Yes clear plastic heats better in the day, but any solar nut from the 60"s & 70"s can tell you. Black plastic holds the heat at night, that is the reason everyone uses BP.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here