Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
centexronz

Strange Asparagus event in January

Centexronz
10 years ago

This thing just keeps circling in my mind so I thought I would throw it out and see if anyone has had a similar occurrence.

I came home from work on a rather windy day in January and as usual walked into my garden to survey how it was doing. The asparagus had been great last year and was just beginning to turn yellow for the winter. It was healthy and 5-6 feet tall in two 65 foot long rows in a raised bed about 8 inches off the ground.

I noticed something really odd in the asparagus bed. I walked the entire 65 foot bed and was puzzled at what I saw. It was as if something airborne had gone to the end of the bed, skipped 6 feet, and then parted both rows and pushed the ferns to the ground bend in over. The right row was bent all the way down to the ground on the right. The left row was bent down all the way to the left. Then 6 more feet were left standing and this was repeated for another 20 feet or so and the end was left standing.

It looked like the Jolly Green Giant had parted the asparagus ferns like hair in two long spots and skipped the middle and the ends.
I've grown asparagus for 15-20 years in two locations but have never seen this.
There were no "swirling" areas like you would expect from strong winds or anything. No tracks of any animal anywhere.
I am assuming it was the wind but don't see how it could happen. Something to tell the grandkids someday!

Comments (3)