Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy non-gmo seeds

Posted by calik8 sunset18 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 12:06

Is there an online source for Non-GMO seeds? One that might also be a fundraiser for some worthy group?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy non-gmo seeds

I am linking you to a thread in the Vegetable Forum which essentially tells you that there are no GMO seeds to speak of available to home gardeners.

Here is a link that might be useful: GMO worries

o

Seeds of Change sells non GMO seeds and some of Pinetree seeds are also available.

o

Or you could read this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: GMOs

o

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like the links to other threads were a bit outdated. I went to Seedsofchange.com and they say:
"We only carry 100% certified organic, non-GMO seeds,"
They do sell seeds in the home gardener size for $3.49 a pack.
Time to shop!

o

The point floral was trying to make is that ALL seeds available to home gardeners are non-GMO seeds.

If you want to pay less than seeds of change, try Fedco. Their packets sell from about 80 cents to a couple bucks, and they test all their corn to make sure it's not been crossed with gmo strains (that's about the only seed that is sometimes contaminated.)

o

Beets can cross too, Fedco tests their chard and beets as well as corn. Other than that, look for safe seed pledge. GE summer squash exists, but I don't know anyone testing for contamination on that.

It's actually a lot harder to buy GE seed than (assumed, but no guarantee) non-transgenic seed. Depends on how worried you are about cross-pollination and contamination from shared harvesting equipment, storage facilities, etc.

o

If someone is growing GMO sugar beets to seed/flower they're doing it wrong and someone should check the field's owner to make sure they're still alive.

o

Fedco says they specialize in cold hardy varieties. I am in Los Angeles. (The San Fernando Valley). Do you think the seeds would work here?

o

I imagine they would work ok. The old days of regional seeds is mostly over. Fedco does have some local growers; some middle sized growers, and many large international growers. You choose according to what grows and matures in your climate.

o

It looks like the links to other threads were a bit outdated.

How so? The thread floral linked is 2 weeks old and includes a list of the possible GMO contaminated crops, none of which are grown by home gardeners or even for sale to home gardeners.

All this stupid mis-leading advertising that some of these seed companies have under taken just to pad their wallets by capitalizing on uninformed and irrational fears is gross. They sure shouldn't be encouraged by buying from them.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here