Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Dry Molasses SuperSweet 38?

Posted by cottagegardenofmine (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 2, 06 at 12:30

I finally found dry molasses at a local farm store for my compost tea this summer. But looking at the ingredients, I'm not sure if it is the right stuff or that it is even organic and good for my little herd. Can anyone decifer this label and tell me what it means for a microorganism?

The label says it contains Processed Grain Byproducts, can molasses, dextrose, sucrose, fructose, citric acid, iron oxide, vegetable oil, natural and artificial flavor.
Crude protein 10%
Crude fat .50%
crude fiber 10%
calcium 1.75%-2.25%
Acid detergent fiber 8%

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Dry Molasses SuperSweet 38?

Your member page doesn't say where you live (my pet peeve) but I'll just go ahead and assume you are listening to Howard Garrett in Dallas. He's the only guy in the country promoting dry molasses. For the life of me I don't know why. It is hard to spread and if you don't spread it all, the left over stuff in the bag turns in to a solid rock. But other than that, I have never found molasses of any kind, at any concentration, to do anything noticeable in my yard.

If you are still going to try molasses, I think you're much better off using liquid molasses at 3 ounces per 1,000 square feet, about 4 times per season. The ingredients of a 50-pound bag of dry molasses are 35 pounds of chipped corn cobs or rice hulls and 15 pounds of wet molasses. 10 pounds of wet molasses (about a gallon) costs $1.00 at your local farm and ranch co-op. You have to bring in your own container.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here