Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knowboddy

Organic Plant Surfactant

knowboddy
15 years ago

I'm currently trying to decide on a surfactant to use for foliar spraying on my plants, but I want it to be organic. I tried searching for "organic plant surfactant" but I only found one product. Something called Wet Betty that's made by Advanced Nutrients.

It definitely looks like what I want but I was wondering if there were other options out there for surfactants that were organic and safe to use on plants.

So what do you organic gardeners use as a surfactant on your plants?

Comments (15)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

Try a search for Coco-wet.

Al

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Look for yucca juice.

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Now that I posted that brief reply, it sunk in what you wanted it for. Have you tried putting table sugar (or molasses) in with the spray? You might try just using sugar water in the sprayer and see if that gives you the sticking effect you want. Start with a couple teaspoons per gallon of water and adjust from there.

• nandina
    15 years ago

Here is a bit of homework on the subject of organic surfactants that might prove useful to you and others.
    Do a search for the following which you should find of interest:
    1....yucca extract
    2....surfactants containing yucca extract
    3....surfactants + seaweed

A lot of reading! Over the past 25 years I have tried various combinations of the above, none of which have been harmful. Then last year I stumbled onto the easiest, very available organic surfactant which is sold at Target and can be found on the shelf with dish washing soaps. It's name is "Method-Go Naked". Read labels as there are several types of Method which have added colors. Use the clear one named Go Naked. Okay, they named it, I didn't! Inexpensive, mainly a seaweed extract. What follows is based on my year of experimenting with it. I have trialed it on everything from just sprouting seeds, the lawn and mature plants. No problems.

Some special instructions are needed for its use as it contains twice the amount of surfactant as other dish washing soaps.

For hand sprayers use two drops of Method to 4 cups of water/liquid.

For hose end sprayers, fill the sprayer with whatever you plan to use and add 1 tablespoon of Method as a sticker. Then set the dial for the amount necessary for the type of spray you are using.

The label on Method-Go Naked reads: Blend of naturally derived and biodegradable surfactants, corn, alcohol, table salt, citric acid, aloe vera gel, vitamine E, preservatve (under 0.1%), purified water.

• gardenlen
    15 years ago

ordinary dish detergent will do the same.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

I agree with gardenlen if you are not going to be picky about it being organic. I've never used yucca extract but it is the one organic surfactant I know of. I always use a few drops of generic hair shampoo. I use the Wal-Mart one that looks like baby shampoo but has a different formula from real Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

• drhalc_gmail_com
    14 years ago

Here are several that we use that are pretty cheap:

Ivory Dish soap (100% pure right on the label)
    Method-Go Naked
    Dreft Laundry Powder (also 100% pure & no harsh detergents)

This next one is organic & bio-degrable but, harder to find now they've changed their formula, also you have to purchase through a distributor:

Shaklee Basic-H (original formula ONLY not the new H2)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild liquid soap.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

A surfactant reduces the surface tension of water and any soap or detergent will do that, so just pick an organic soap to use.

• knowboddy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I actually ended up getting the Organic Wet Betty I was talking about, it's made from yucca extract and that really seemed to me to be the way to go. It's done everything I expect a plant surfactant to so I'm completely satisfied with it so far.

kimmsr's suggestion about organic soap was something I hadn't thought of. They make organic everything else, soap would seem to be obvious but it hadn't occurred to me. Maybe I'll try that the next time I'm looking for a plant surfactant.

Also, I wanted to point out that there's a big difference between "100% pure" and "100% organic". You can have pure synthetics that aren't remotely organic. Pure just tells you it's not made of anything else. How much difference that would make in a surfactant I don't know, but if it's important that your plants are 100% organic it is an important distinction.

• HU-383584448
    3 years ago

You know I love you organic people. Up here in GA I get 2.50 per dozen for (yard eggs) drive to Jacksonville 1 hr away I get $8.00 per - both same thing free range organic? No chemicals commercial feeds or any feed what so ever? They find their own food mostly I do feed them organic scraps all of wich coo off the farm again no chemicals or commercial ferrlizer? My beef cows same thing sell one here might get $750.00 per thousand in jax I sell 1/2 a cow non butchered for $1500 love it and eat it every day. what most of you don't understand is if you are buying it at any supermarket there is no such thing as organic? My beef cows get shipped to Kansas to a read lot? Certified gras finished organic which I paid dearly for? What did I have to do? Pay some jerk thousands to certify what I'm doing? While I know my cows are going to Kansas for butchering who certifies the transport rail accommodations? Well I will tell you this a hungry crud of cows will bust through anything including a rail car? Solution a high sugary food which is corn. Organic or not they are now not grass finished then at the FREED lot more corn, I have seen it. Frankly posses me off because it's a scam. My neighbors all raise no hormone or antibiotic chickens. They are all inoculated at the hatchery and fed hormone food first 3 to 4 weeks. Last 4 to 5 weeks no hormones and out of there system. I have raised the same broilers it take me 10 to 12 weeks to butcher. They are at 6 weeks to the day. Best advice for you guys is organic is a price booster any one growing organic on a commercial scale has afforded loop holes. My farm is a hobby I loose money every year and can't come close to production rates doin it organic which is fine not here to make money, just my outlet. But more importantly is the farmer boosting the soil? Being sustainable? Ecologically friendly? While most are the largest farmers doing 10s of thousands of acres are in profit mode alone. And sadly 90% of your organic farmers fall in that category.

Sorry for bing long winded .

• morpheuspa2
    3 years ago

Many of us just try to get as close as we can when we can. I use soybean to feed a lot, not so much because it's organic, but because the performance observed is superior to the synthetics I've used in the past. The fact that the molecules are organic (on average) is just an incidental. It was actually grown in a non-organic farm (probably, I don't really care one way or the other) and is probably GMO as well (again, I don't care).

In this case, the discussion's sort of the same. Yucca isn't necessarily raised organically, but is an organic surfactant, in that it does not, in and of itself, contain processed chemistry.

(The idea of organic soap amuses me, as a soap maker. The very definition of soap requires lye, and...well, show me a lye tree. All lye requires some heavy-duty chemical processing, at the very least high-temperature combustion and then concentration from the ash. It's easier and cheaper to get it via hydrolysis as a side-note to salt production).

Some are more stringent in their particulars, but this discussion didn't seem to go there. Over on the lawn forum, you'll see me recommend non-organic surfactants all the time. They're cheap, easy to source, and very useful. But if the person insisted on organic, I could accommodate...for about 30 times the cost. If they insisted on organic sources of organic molecules, perhaps 90 times, if I could source it at all.

• HU-383584448
    3 years ago

Well I just don't understand the organic thing, well I do but my grandpa " learned " me organics funny old cooter he was but he was ever so kind to his land and never educated. I left a park ave job to come here and mind his land, sadly it will end with me. My 5 brothers and sister's wanted nothing to do with this place. My kids hate it and have an ex wife because of it. Its all good but all of them would never eat a thing from this farm because it's not whole foods or fresh market. It really make me angry some times. I am certified organic but I assure you it's just a shake down I know because there is a lot I can chemically do and would and still be organic. Like your soy - there is nothing wrong with it Organic or not. Again organic is largely b.s. to me. I have 110 acres of pasture for 30 cows. I don't need soy. I don't even need 1/3 of the pasture. I do on the other hand love when I get my hay tested for protein content and its 20% above my neighbors and they all buy my hay in the winter for premium prices, theyjust don't tell any one but the by all buy my hay every winter. I'm using. A simple foliar sprays that cost me 1/4 their fertlizer. And I have several inches of top soil all my neighbors have sand? I use a worm compost tea made in a 250 gallon barrels fermented with my molasses , chicken crap and popular ash and salmon bones heads and skin I get in bulk from a fish monger for almost nothing . I do use a liquid dish soap with vegetable oil for a suffocant. It works well and spray early spring and after every cutting. It averages 5n 10 p and 8 k when diluted Yes there is more labor but what the heck this city boy is doing what he wants and again I don't do it for money. If I did it most defiantly would be a different story. Point taken and understood. Just love selling my eggs and beef for 4 times the price when I did it 1/4 the expense. Again if I had 100 had of cattle? But again I'm just trying to cover expenses.

• Ryan Galli
    3 years ago

USDA organic and organic are two different things. anybody putting chemicals on their food are ignorant. what did they do hundreds and even thousands of years ago. the same thing I do. no chemicals at all. it comes down to money always whether they admit it or not. If you plan well and put proper nutrients in your soil you will be fine. I eat true organic vegetables every day. and to the other gentlemen .... I eat grass fed beef that is 100% grass finished too from a local farm. I order my cow and know everything it was fed. if you try and stop comparing to other farms production rates and money making maybe you could supply good food to the world and make a decent living. Its not about getting rich. its about being truly alive. doing what you love.

Ps people spraying oils and soaps ( my mind is blown at that) on plants so they absorb nutrients better is crazy. id rather "less" nutrients lol then more and chemicals.

• Jim Shellenback Jr.
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This place in Florida sells this Genisys stuff. So I mix it with a chelated miconutrient and spray. A leaf conditioner I guess. Works good. Rockledge Gardens.