Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrao77

organic remedy for squah borer please?

mrao77
18 years ago

Hi,

I have a small veggie garden and grow organically. I lost all my squash plants to the vine borer last summer although I did my best in following the precautions that are supposed to work before it becomes an infestation. Lost the war..bugs bored through my entire crop. Please help!!

M

Comments (11)

• pablo_nh
    18 years ago

bt, and bury the vines.

I didn't have any after I started using Dipel dust, but I dunno if that's data or anecdote.

• vstech
    18 years ago

I buried the vines every couple of feet between the leaves.
    this helped the plants recover from the d**&^ moths.
    daily scouring for the single red egg, is the only sure way to stop the infestation.
    keep an eye out for the moths, cut out the worms when the frass is noticed, and look for the egg.
    John

• byron
    18 years ago

Rotenone is listed for Squash Vine Borer..

• good_gardening1
    18 years ago

I think I have tried all of the possible organic options for this malady. Different varieties even.

Unfortunately, nothing ever seems to work for me.

I even injected the stems with Bt last year but even that was not overly effective.

This year, as much as I hate to do it, I am afraid that I am going to have to jump off of the organic wagon when it comes to the squash.

Five years of fighting these beasties has me finally ready to give up on the organic way.

• dangsr
    18 years ago

I had the same problem with worms last year and someone told me to grow NASTURTIUM among squash and worms are gone, my NASTURTIUM plants are already 6 inches tall.

• patty4150
    18 years ago

http://www.organicgardenpests.com/organicpestcontrol3.html

Nasturtium, radish, marigold may deter squash bug. Squash borer may be harder to control, but there are a few tips at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: organic methods for pest control

• chesnok
    18 years ago

i'm gonna grow c. moschata b/c the stems are solid and hard--too hard for borers, they say.

• Kimmsr
    18 years ago

Floating row covers help by keeping Ma Moth away form your plants as does something around the plant stem that will keep her from laying eggs near that plant stem. Things like BTK, neem oil sprays, etc. are reactive controls rather than poractive.

• althea_gw
    18 years ago

Last year we planted squash having been warned of svb's by our next door neighbor who lost her pumpkins to svb's the two previous years. We planted nasturtiums and borage as companion plants and had no svb's. Our neighbor wanted to try Bulls-Eye from Gardens Alive! for her squash and pumpkins. After giving it more thought she decided against using the Bulls-Eye out of concern for bees potentially being hurt by it, and she lost all but two plants to svb's. She gave us the un-opened Bulls-Eye which we have absolutely no use for. If anyone wants it, send me and email and I'll mail it to you. Below is a description. The catalog lists it as a control for svb's.

Here is a link that might be useful: bulls-eye

• rosebush
    18 years ago

Great thread. I'm going to try pumpkins this year, as well as winter squash, so I need all the tips I can get. Have used nasturtiums and other companion plantings to discourage the bad bugs. Also diatomaceous earth, but sparingly as I don't want to kill the good ones.

• mrao77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the great tips and advice. I have tried the neem sprays, bt and bait plantings. Even my butternutsquah, which is supposed to be resistant to the SVB sucummed after just one squash! Also tried injecting the stem with concentrated BT, supposedly this is the most effective way. However it was too late :(
    This year I will try nasturiums and marigolds..I did not have any luck with gorwing these from seeds..never came up. Anyone have extra seeds that you can spare?
    M

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!