Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
opinion on Martha Stewart organic seeds?

Posted by rathdrumid 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 15:38

i can't seem to get any information on them. Really organic? not some giant evil company?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: opinion on Martha Stewart organic seeds?

Isn't Martha Stewart a giant evil company?

o

Martha stewart may be a giant company but even with several TV programs, a magazine, some other ventures probably not evil. Martha Stewart is trying to show people they can really do all the things themselves that many today pay real giant evil companies to do for them. Kind of a modern day back to the land movement.

o

well, they've got to be sourced from somewhere, martha stewart inc isn't producing them. might look into where. if they're certed, they're probably ok... ?

as for opinion, well.. baker creek seed co is still in business (as is burpee), and while msi might market some information that qualifies as encouraging people to take some of their life back to the land, which is great, the tons of garbage (outdoor patio furniture etc) they're branding and shoveling into big box stores like home depot, most of which is un-sustainably manufactured, far abroad, and shipped / trucked all over the place, says something very different... i would not object to them in the way i might be inclined to in the case of, say, truly evil entities like monsanto, the republican party, chevron, the new york yankees, lady gaga or dow chemical, but i wouldn't line up to buy anything from them, either.

o

I purchased a packet of Martha Stewart 100% certified organic( USDA ORGANIC) tomato sweetie, cherry tomato. So far, the germination rate is very good, over 80 percent. On the back of packet, it read "all Ferry-Morse organic seeds are 100% organic in complete accordance with the organic standadards..."

Ferry-Morse seeds under Martha's Living label.

If I read the packet carefully before I purchase it, I would not have purchase it because I had poor result with Ferry Morse certified organic seeds last year. Given the GREAT results I am having so far this year because I am better equip and more knowledgable, I am starting to wonder if my poor results last year with Ferry Morse seeds were the mistake of a novice

o

I just choked on my mungbeans!
If Martha Stewart is a leading-light in any kind of "back to the land movement", it's a pretty different land than mine!
I imagine it populated with attractive miniature livestock, tended by recent immigrants who create charmingly rustic crockery on their nights off to be sold at great expense online.
Sorry, apparently I'm feeling a bit facecious.

o

I would much much rather give my money directly to seed companies, than to the MStewart machine.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 19:15

Sometimes we over do the whole Organic thing.
I know they have organic coffee, what next organic cigarettes.
If you want Organic seeds, try:
www.territorialseed.com or www.seedsavers.org.
I do not think the packaging company care if your seeds are truly organic. Martha may care, but she does not have the time to check.
Most companies want the $$$$$ & do not think you can tell the different, because they can not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here