Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
News on S510,HR875,S245 Food Bills??

Posted by shadylane5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 16:06

I've been out of touch with gardening for a few years, and just now heard of these. Does anyone have a good understanding to these bills?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: News on S510,HR875,S245 Food Bills??

Senate Bill 510 and House Bill 875, aka Food Safety and Modernization act, has been passed by the congress and signed into law by the president.

o

Thank you kimmsr for your help.

The S510 I somewhat understand with organic foods and selling them. But with the HR875 I'm still in question..and what is the S245?
I'm wondering what has happened for this even to come into effect.
Does this mean that we will no longer be able to purchase herittage seeds?
When searching info on organic gardening I stumbled on the bills, which raised question what is happening?? What is the reason for the bills.
~Behind in the news.~

o

The reason for the Food Safety and Modernization Act was to try and help the Food and Drug Administration and the United States Department of Agriculture food inspection recover form the devistation the Reagan adminstration wrought on them and get more food indpectors in the field to try and prevent contaminated foods from reaching the market place. It will not keep you from purchasing heritage or open pollinated seeds or growing foods organically.
There are several, conflicting, articles about what S245 is so it is difficult to say what it is.

o

Thank You kimmsr for your help in bring me more up date.
Have a great day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here