Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srburk

organic seaweed extract?

srburk
18 years ago

I was wanting to try a weak solution of seaweed extract to fertilize my tomatoes as recommended in a book. But I've no idea where to find such a thing...anyone have a reliable source?

Comments (18)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    18 years ago

You mean liquid seaweed?

Maxicrop makes one. I got one from Lowe's. I've never heard of "organic" seaweed extract.

• organicgrinder
    18 years ago

Neptune's Harvest makes a seaweed product as well. The link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neptune's Harvest

• squeeze
    18 years ago

any nursery or garden supply place will have some form of liquid seaweed, which as the name suggests, is made of ocean harvested plants - no "organic" involved unless they've added something other than seaweed to the product - not much chance of someone hving "organically grown" seaweed, ya just takes yer chances w/ things from the ocean, including the fish you eat!

Bill

• srburk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I mean liquid seaweed....I've not seen any at the big box stores, but maybe I'm confused by the packaging. Sorry if I sounded ignorant...I'm not a newbie to gardening per se, but new to organic vegetable gardening--I'm trying out several new things at once...my limit is three, so the vegetables, the lasagna bed, and the liquid seaweed is all for the season. Any more than that and I get confused.....lol.

• organicgrinder
    18 years ago

Srburk, the only place I have ever seen Neptune's Harvest or Maxicrop is online. You may want to check out the company's web site to see if they list retailers of their products.

• breasley
    18 years ago

I have some Sea Magic organic sea weed. I believe I got it from Park's.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

I think we are confusing what the term "organic" means. Organic is anything that is formulated or created from naturally ocurring materials, most generally plant and animal products. Since seaweed extract is derived from harvested ocean plant material, it is by definition organic and applying that term to it is a bit redundant. If you can't find the liquid extract, look for kelp meal. It will achieve the same result.

• nygardener
    18 years ago

Worm's Way is a good source; search for seaweed. I've been pleased with the Algamin kelp meal and other products I've bought from them. They also sell other seaweed extracts, both liquid and powdered.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    18 years ago

Hi all - saw this posting & wanted to share that I order my Maxicrop from Peaceful Valley - Planet Natural has it too(I think) - & I'm pretty sure Pinetree Gardens has it as well(or used to).All 3 have online stores - just do a search & you should find them easily.

I use the powder - I think it's way more economical than liquid.More for the $$, IOW.

No local stores/garden centers around here carry it either - tho I've seen a dusty bottle of seaweed/fish emulsion liquid once or twice.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Peaceful

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

I've been using an organic fertilizer called Iguana Juice in my garden. I'm not sure if it's got seaweed extract in it, I'll go look at the label next time I think of it, but I'm pretty sure that the makers of it (Advanced Nutrients) makes something that's got seaweed extract in it. I remember there was this stuff and another thing called "Mother Earth Tea" or something like that and I just kind of flipped a coin to pick between the two.

I think that one or the other had seaweed extract in it but I don't remember for sure, and they're both definitely organic.

I found a link to their organics if you want to look for yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Fertilizers

• hooked_on_ponics
    15 years ago

I can lend a hand here. They've got a product called "Grandma Enngy's Seaweed Extract" that isnt on that page for some reason. That's exactly what you're looking for.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's a lot of seaweed extract in their B52, and both the Iguana and Mother Earth Tea you mentioned.

I looked for a link to the Enngy's Seaweed but all I found were sales links so I don't want to anger the forum gods by linking them. It's pretty easy to find if you want to do a search, the name "Enngy" is pretty unique.

• hooked_on_ponics
    15 years ago

Oh, I found a really good article about seaweed based plant food.

If you're thinking about using a plant food made from seaweed it's a pretty good read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Effective Use of Seaweed Based Plant Food

• iamgrowerman
    14 years ago

Seaweed extract is one of those things that's recently come back into the spotlight, but it's still really under-appreciated.

That's a good article you posted, hooked, it makes a good point that without adding fulvic and humic acid you're not really getting the full benefit of a seaweed extract.

I would also say that you want to be sure you're getting a quality, concentrated source of seaweed extract. A lot of crap is jumping on the bandwagon, selling basically worthless stuff under the popular buzz words. I trust Advanced Nutrients, but I'm not sure what else I'd want to recommend.

• shebear
    14 years ago

I usually can't find it at the big box stores but I do find it at the local nurseries. Are you near any big cities in Texas?

• macbirch
    14 years ago

I wasn't going to post because I figured the local product isn't available in the US but the ad just came on tv. I only see it every few weeks so for it to come on at the very moment I'm reading this thread is quite amusing. Apparently it IS exported but I don't think to the US. Anyway it's quite an interesting site even if you buy your seaweed extract elsewhere. They've been manufacturing it since the 70's and it's easy to find in nurseries and hardware stores here in Australia. It's actually described as a dynamic growth stimulant and plant tonic rather than a fertiliser. "Scientific trials and field observations over many years have proven its value as a means of promoting healthy vigorous growth in plants, improving resistance to insect and fungal attack, and reducing the symptoms of stress from excessive heat, frost damage and transplanting."

http://www.seasol.com.au/

• annalisa201
    14 years ago

In Australia (I'm American living here) we use - and I mean LOTS of farmers, as well as suburban gardeners like me - use liquid seaweed fertiliser, and it's available everywhere, and in lots of different brands/kinds. I just bought mine at Bunnings - equivlent of home depot or lowe's - and had to chose from about 10 different bottles.

My question is how is the best way to apply? I've read online spray directly on leaves, but I just wanted to dilute in a watering can and water on soil... I think I'll post my own question.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Farm Garden - my garden blog

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

Ive been using maxicrop liquid seaweed for several years. I use the powder form. It comes in a 10.7oz package and this one package is a concentrate which will make 65 gal. I bought 2 pack. several years ago and Im still using out of the second pack. Also it has an indefinite shelf life. I do a lot of cuttings which I over winter inside and it keeps the cuttings green all winter from top to bottom.

Check out the link as the product is OMRI certified to be used in organic production. In the link there is also another click where you can read the certification.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maxicrop

• Miguelovic
    9 years ago

" I trust Advanced Nutrients, but I'm not sure what else I'd want to recommend. "

I personally don't trust Russian gangsters riding the naivety of cannabis growers, but that's just me :D