Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pallet Gardening Experiences?

Posted by mmiesse 6a (Arkansas) (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 18:06

I'm considering doing a few (non-treated) pallets for the community garden at my apartment complex. What tips do you have? Pros? Cons? What has been your experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pallet Gardening Experiences?

Never done that, never really thought about it. The link below has some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: pallets in the garden

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 18:33

Read a fair amount about it but never done it as it just defies logic to me. It looks good in pictures but photos can be very misleading and most look as if they were taken immediately after planting rather than once the plants were established.

If one cannot grow broccoli or lettuce (for example) 2-3" apart , 12 plants to a 4' row in a regular garden how can one possibly expect to do that successfully between two slats in no more than 3" of soil?

If it looks too good to be true...it probably isn't. JMO

Dave

o

I think they'd be better used to build a compost bin or two. 5 pallets in an E shape make a good two bin system.

o

My only experience has been as a voyeur. I've seen some fine looking displays in the parking lot of a local restaurant. They would not take our winters.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 20:10

It's not a look that I would want in my garden, to be honest. I would disassemble the pallets and then re-purpose the wood as raised planter boxes. The slats on top block too much usable planting area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image search on pallet garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here