Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Stagnant Water

Posted by Kluttery (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 19:37

I have a plastic bin outdoors. Last year it filled with leaves, pine straw and water. The water is light brown and has a slightly rancid smell. Having recently planted some snapdragons, I used the water on them, thinking it would be similar to compost tea.

I then began to wonder if the rancid smell is from bacteria and that maybe it shouldn't be used on my plants.

Did I make a mistake?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Stagnant Water

Dangerous to plants...highly unlikely.

It's probably iron or sulfur reducing bacteria or some form of anaerobic bacteria...either way, the soil should filter it (and the smell) just fine and the plants probably won't care.

o
RE: Using Stagnant Water

Whew! Thanks for allaying my worries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here