Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
humboldt101_gw

Alfalfa hay vs. pellets

humboldt101
13 years ago

Didn't see this anywhere so I'm gonna go out on a limb... I was at the feed store today looking at alfalfa pellets for my garden when I realized that alfalfa hay was cheaper. 50# bag of pellets is $14 and 100# of alfalfa hay is $16. Any reason people choose pellets over the hay? Is it just the convenience and the added molasses? Won't it work just as well as a tea if I use the hay as a mulch around the plants and water it? Or am I missing something?

Comments (5)

• alphonse
    13 years ago

Not sure where you live...here you can buy a 40# bale for 2 bucks in season.
    Yes, it's convenience, but I'm not sure you'll have the same results as a tea, rather doubt it. You need to steep it.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

I thought the pellets had a bunch of other ingredients (grains, etc.)besides alfalfa? @ least the kind I buy does - it's sold for rabbit food - & it's $5/25#. The pellets break down a lot faster than hay too.

• humboldt101
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for your responses. Alphonse- I live in Northern California. Humboldt/ Trinity Counties to be exact. Guess it's just more expensive here. But... Would it be the same if I steeped the hay and added my own molasses?

• alphonse
    13 years ago

The alfalfa pellets sold here don't have molasses, it's simply shredded leaves, highly compressed.
    At $2/bale I mean right off the field when they're baling. You get all the stems too, not just leaves.
    I don't see why your tea would be any different...if it has stems likely just need a bigger brew bin.

• jolj
    13 years ago

Check out Farm coop's, they are cheaper then many other outlets.