Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alfalfa hay vs. pellets

Posted by humboldt101 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 21:06

Didn't see this anywhere so I'm gonna go out on a limb... I was at the feed store today looking at alfalfa pellets for my garden when I realized that alfalfa hay was cheaper. 50# bag of pellets is $14 and 100# of alfalfa hay is $16. Any reason people choose pellets over the hay? Is it just the convenience and the added molasses? Won't it work just as well as a tea if I use the hay as a mulch around the plants and water it? Or am I missing something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alfalfa hay vs. pellets

Not sure where you live...here you can buy a 40# bale for 2 bucks in season.
Yes, it's convenience, but I'm not sure you'll have the same results as a tea, rather doubt it. You need to steep it.

o

I thought the pellets had a bunch of other ingredients (grains, etc.)besides alfalfa? @ least the kind I buy does - it's sold for rabbit food - & it's $5/25#. The pellets break down a lot faster than hay too.

o

Thank you both for your responses. Alphonse- I live in Northern California. Humboldt/ Trinity Counties to be exact. Guess it's just more expensive here. But... Would it be the same if I steeped the hay and added my own molasses?

o

The alfalfa pellets sold here don't have molasses, it's simply shredded leaves, highly compressed.
At $2/bale I mean right off the field when they're baling. You get all the stems too, not just leaves.
I don't see why your tea would be any different...if it has stems likely just need a bigger brew bin.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 19:19

Check out Farm coop's, they are cheaper then many other outlets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here