Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sad tomato leaves

Posted by Oliver321 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 21:22

I am trying to get a few *very* early tomatoes this year, so I transplanted three early girl VFF hybrids last week. They were about 5 inches tall and probably 6 weeks old at transplant time.
In the last couple days, I've noticed the leaves are looking a little beat up. See photo. It looks almost as if the green on the leaves has been scratched off in little patches, exposing a kind of gold, beige thin skin underneath. All the leaves have the blemish at varying levels of severity. And some are curling a bit. There is good new growth on the plants and other than the leaf issue they seem fairly healthy.
They were started in a homemade potting mix with peat, perlite, green sand, cottonseed meal, bone meal, azomite. And I've boosted a little with seaweed and fish emulsion.
We're still having some nights in the 40s, so I suspect this is cold related.
Any ideas would be welcome.
Thank you!
Oliver

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sad tomato leaves

Looks like cold damage since the leaves look otherwise healthy and the damage is taking place between veins (and also not on a continuous leaf margin).

Plants usually outgrow and survive this just fine as long as a hard freeze or continuous cold period doesn't move in.

It's generally a good idea to wait until nights get into the 50s somewhat predictably (though a few trips into the 40s for a few hours won't hurt too bad) to plant out toms...and provide cover for low-40s or below.

It's also a good idea to harden off seedlings going from inside to outside to get them acclimated to wind/weather to form a bit more protection on the leaf surfaces. Early cold damage is a lot more common that late/established-plant cold damage.

o

Thank you! I thought I'd hardened them off enough, but evidently not. It's also been a pretty cool March and I haven't been covering at night...

o

Is your cottonseed meal sourced organically? Cotton is one of the most heavily sprayed crops, and the pesticides they use are not restricted to food grade chemicals.

So perhaps the tomatoes are being burned by residual pesticide from the cottonseed meal.

Second, google images of "tobacco mosaic virus." Are you a smoker?

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 18:39

Tobacco mosaic virus TMV hasn't been an issue in this country for over 30 years unless you are smoking imported Turkish cigarettes.

I agree with nc-crn - most likely they just weren't hardened off and/or protected sufficiently. Are they mulched already in that photo? Is your soil that warm already? If not I'd sure pull back the mulch.

Dave

o

its physical damage due to cold or wind. Nothing to worry about. The next leaves will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here