Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zackd_gw

Chicken poo and a new gardener...

zackd
18 years ago

I have a question i have a lot of chicken poo and a lot of sawdust. But i have little time to decompose it in. i cleaned out my chicken coop during the winter and during the summer. The problem is I did not think that chicken poo was good to use on any plats. so i have a heap of poop in the coop that needs to be taken out and a couple piles that have been decomposing for about 2-3 months the problem is the straw is still yellow and does not look like it is decomposed. so my question is, os it safe to plow up a small field and put the chiken poo/straw on top or would it be smarter to heap all the poop together and spread sawdust ontop of it and wait untill fall to spread it in or should I try to add some poo under the soil and hope it rots? I am a realitivley new gardener and plan on planting tomatoes pepers pumpkins and other veggies. What i have seen is that some people say plow it in some say cover it and compost it with sawdust so im wondering if i can use some of it and also to me it seems that the straw does not decompose fast enough and im wondering if that will hurt my garden at all. another question I have is pruning if anyone has a great website that would be very helpfull.

Comments (8)

• computergardener
    18 years ago

Sounds like you have a great source of "Green" for your compost. Now you need some "Brown". Not sure where saw dust lies in the compost hierarchy but I it is not a beneficial as say a nice pile of leaves.

Here is my suggestion, since it has been two or three months it is probably fine to til into a garden plot you are going to use this year, I would not just put it on top.

However, if time is not an issue. Try tiling it into a garden plot you are going to use in the fall or next spring.

Long term, find a source of brown material and as you get more poo, mix it with the brown from the start. Water ever once in a while and you will have great compost in 4-6 months.

• pablo_nh
    18 years ago

Where are you located? That will determine a lot.

Sawdust is a mighty brown. If you want to compost stuff first- mix that sawdust and the poop together with some water.

If you have a month before planting- I'd just spread the poop on the planting bed, put sawdust on top, and let it get rained on. Should be rocking. You could plow it in if you'll be plowing anyway. Save sawdust for mulch.

• zackd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I live in the norther part of Indiana. Last year i tried planting pumpkis with no fertilizer and i got a bunch of small ones with one that was about 150lbs so I intend to make that bigger.

About useing the sawdust as a mulch does that meen to spread it on top or mix it in with the chicken poop? will spreading the sawdust cause the undersides of the pumpkins to rot?

Also will chicken poop be good for any typ of vegie or not all?

Will the straw rot befor I got to plant?

• squeeze
    18 years ago

all of it will add organic material to the soil, which is a good thing - doesn't really matter how long it takes to 'rot' because you want to keep adding organics constantly for the life of your garden - the pumpkins will benefit most from heavy additions of compost, as long as the manure isn't too fresh, therefore too high in nitrogen - the trick to big pumpkins is lots of compost and lots of water, never let them get dry - we put constant drip watering on pumpkins and {{gwi:138225}} - a layer of sawdust for mulch won't hurt the pumpkins and will help keep the weeds down

tomatoes and peppers don't need quite as much nitrogen as pumpkins, so I'd go easy on the manure, which will do best where you want a lot of fast foliage growth

Bill

• zackd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the sugestions. i think ill plow the manure into the soil. and then would it be smart to lay down newspaper and put sawdust on to of it to keep the weeds down?

How does everyone plant their pumpkins, last year i planted mine in little hills so i would no were the were but would planting them in shalow trenches work better or would that drown the plants? Any sugestions?

Also i was wondering because last year I got 1 pumpkin on a giant vine. I also planted them and harvested the pumpkins about a month befor halloween. should I cut of the vines without a pumpkin on it?

• seamommy
    18 years ago

Please compost your sawdust for at least a year before you add it to your garden beds. It is very hard to break down and robs the soil of all nitrogen in the process. If you mix it well with the chicken manure, keep it moist and turn it every couple of days or once a week it should be well enough composted in about a year to use on the garden.

You can make a pile of all of this stuff and keep it together adding other stuff like kitchen waste, grass and leaves as they become available. If you have a problem with critters getting into it, you can cover it with a tarp, but usually they don't do any damage. Also, and don't be grossed out, human urine isn't bad for the compost and is another source of nitrogen or "greens." Plus it has the added bonus of repelling some critters that will mess up the pile or dig in it.
    Cheryl

• Miss_Mudcat
    18 years ago

Hey Zackd,
    I'm in the southeastern part of IN. I just add my chicken manure mixed with sawdust into my compost pile which contains kitchen and garden wastes and spoiled straw. I turn the piles every 2 months - not so in the winter - but when I can. I have used this compost within 4 months time without harming the plants. For pumpkins and other cucurbits, fruit trees and tomato transplants, I just dig a hole in a hill and fill it with a shovel full of compost. Works for me!

Down south MS where I from, everyone plows chicken manure fresh from the chicken houses into their garden before planting, and strawberries are particularly fond of fresh chicken manure.

Have fun gardening!
    Lisa

• bfaithfu_beaconschool_org
    12 years ago

I am in need of advice. I have a vegetable garden. I am trying to build up the compost pile for next season. In my neighborhood, there are two stores that sell live poultry. They are willing to donate their extensive chicken manure, but the manure is on newspapers that are under the chicken pens.

The question: can I compost the newspaper along with the chicken manure?