Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kay17jan

Mix wood for garden beds & alpaca compost or plain horse poop

Kay17jan
10 years ago

Hello Everyone,
I am new here, and to gardening. We are try to practice organic and holistic life. And, for the first time I have space to garden, since we are moving to a new home, yeee.
Some people here mentioned they go to Home Depot and use 70% off culled wood to make garden beds.
I went to look at Home Depot, but they had mixed wood planks, while I here everyone talking about cedar wood here. Can I use mixed wood or is it the same thing or it doesn't matter?

Secondly I looked on craigslist and found a guy selling alpaca poop compost, in another post he mentioned it to be organic. Since the rest of the post was same just the title different I would say it's not organic particularly.
Alpaca poop compost, is it good bad or doesn't matter?

While other people on craigslist are giving away horse poop, and say you should put this under the raised bed when you dig the first layer on ground, so when the plant roots reach there it's most likely "composted" and they get nutrition boost.
Has anyone one practiced this?

Thanks ya'll. I am so glad I found this forum.

Comments (5)

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Compost is organic, but it also should be made of both vegetative waste and animal manures in a 3 to 1 ratio, Compost made of the manure from Alpacas, Llamas, Vicunas, Sheep, Goats, Rabbits, Horses, or cattle is not going to be that much different to warrant someone making claims that might indicate it is.
    Cedar is one of the woods that is more rot resistant then most other woods. However Cedar is more expensive then pine or fir although I have found that pine or fir can last 7 to 10 years with no preservatives added.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

70% off culled wood to make garden beds.

Good stuff from what I have seen at our HD. It just won't last nearly as long as cedar beds wood but at that price (compared to the price of cedar) it can't be beat. Bottom line - it doesn't matter to the garden, just to the gardener's eye for appearance.

selling alpaca poop compost, in another post he mentioned it to be organic. Since the rest of the post was same just the title different I would say it's not organic particularly. Alpaca poop compost, is it good bad or doesn't matter?

Wish I could get some. Kess weed seeds than horse. So it depends on how much he is charging for it and is it really compost as kimmsr defined, or just aged alpaca poop? But yeah they are all organic UNLESS it contains grasses that have been treated with weed killers or other chemicals. Go see it first, grab a handful, squeeze it, see how fine it is, smell it. It should smell like good earth. If it smells like ammonia or has any chemical odor, pass on it.

other people on craigslist are giving away horse poop, and say you should put this under the raised bed when you dig the first layer on ground, so when the plant roots reach there it's most likely "composted" and they get nutrition boost. Has anyone one practiced this?

Not recommended for 2 reasons: 1) if it isn't well composted, well aged already it has no business being used in a food garden - no fresh manures go in vegetable gardens, and 2) layering like that often only creates drainage problems and water pooling. All ingredients used need to be well mixed together.

Dave

• cold_weather_is_evil
    10 years ago

Except for kitchen scraps and pulled up plants, I use horse manure almost entirely, and I compost in piles for the long term, so put those together and you have just one combination for continuing gardening. Around these parts, straw comes at a premium so you get horse manure filled out with shredded plant material, AKA sawdust/wood chips, so the easiest thing is to get a pickup load once or twice a year and use it for next year's food.or this year's flowers.

Advice like that is really worthless for getting started NOW, except for my urging anyone and everyone to plan far far ahead. In other words, what do you need today that you could have had if you had known all this last year?

Exotic manures are good but often needlessly expen$ive but ordinary ones are good too. Dirt does not have to be constrained in a box so moderately raised beds (which I use, made pretty much of successive layers of 2X4s) are good for giving you defined areas in which to plant and on which to walk. Well, it also gives me a secure way to route two watering lines.

• Kay17jan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all of you, your responses are very helpful. I am very new, as you can tell and appreciate all the help I get, from here.

• carolparrish
    10 years ago

I am trying a raised bed for the first time.I made it from untreated wood.It is about 4x4. I filled it with equal parts of homemade compost,vermiculite and peat moss .It took a lot of work. i will have to watch the moisture because this is very light soil.I am planting a variety of different colored carrots,as well as lettuce and green onions .My question is Should I add any additional fertilizer or lime etc?

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb