Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best Strawberry for eating and freezing

Posted by little_acorn 5A (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 6:43

I would like to plant Strawberries and would like to know which strawberry is the best eating and freezing?
I live in Ohio.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best Strawberry for eating and freezing

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 8:58

I suggest trialing them yourself. You simply buy a number of berry plants that are readily available in your area and dedicate some space for them. There are no bad strawberries, so you can't go wrong and it will be a fun project. I trialed a bunch last year and came away with some winners:

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 11:05

Agree that 'best' is a personal preference, not a label that can be just slapped on one of the many varieties. So you will have to discover for yourself which you think is best.

If you asked for 'favorite' instead you'll get 50 different recommendations from 100 different people. And over on the Fruits forum you'll get even more favorites.

So what varieties are available to you locally? Do you want everbearing or June bearing? Do you plan to grow them as annuals or create a permanent bed? In ground or in containers?

Dave

PS: my personal favorites are Ozark Beauty, Honeoye, Tribute, and Cardinal.

Recommended strawberry varieties for Ohio: Delite, Earliglow, Guardian, Kent, Lateglow, Lester, Midway, Redchief, Surecrop, Tribute, Tristar. (According to the Ohio State University Extension)

o

For regular varieties I would say that Earlyglow is number 1 for taste. I have raised it and many other varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Varieties

o

I have been looking for the same kind of answer. Honeoye shows up every time this type of subject comes up. I am only in paying attention to June bearing though.

I am not one that like to see what the state or county extension people say. That is based on a couple different second experiences in my area. But if you are near the university that did trials or whatever, I would take that into strong consideration.

o

I raised Honeoye. It is about the most beautiful berry, very productive, long bearing, and rot resistant> what more could you ask for? Well, some taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here