Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
voles (?) in vegetable garden

Posted by engk916 z6/TrentonNJ (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 10:28

i think a vole is eating my pea seeds - something is digging them out and leaving neat 2" wide holes in my garden. I tried liquid fence, but it only seems to work on the rabbits/deer, not these things that are eating my pea seeds.

Does anyone have an idea on how to deter these pests? I thought I could use the castor bean oil but found out it's toxic, so not recommended for vegetables. :)

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: voles (?) in vegetable garden

I have never had to deal with voles, but I heard that morth balls stuffed into the tunnels would deter them. It might be worth a try.

Ron
The Garden Guy
http://www/TheGardenGuy.org
New Article & Garden Journal Entries!

o

Try used coffee grounds (I mix it with shredded leaves). They don't seem to be too fond of the UCGs and stay away from the areas where I apply it in the gardens.

o

Hi, I had voles giving me a hard time a few years ago, ate all my Monarda roots and any seeds I put out. I got a live mouse trap, put some decon poison in it, and every few days had one of my boys empty out the fur and bones. Worked fantastic!

Good Luck
Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here