Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Manure - Hairy Vetch or others

Posted by m_lorne 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 11:35

Hello all,

I am in the process of establishing my gardens and revamping some of my yard. After reading about cover crops and green manure, I came up with the idea of growing some hairy vetch in a patch of my yard to cut down and put into the composter. The problem is that this area of my yard gets very little sun.

So, first question is in theory is this a good idea? In practice is it a good idea? Is there a cover crop that will grow in shade?

Thanks for the help.

Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Manure - Hairy Vetch or others

The sun would be needed if you wished to produce seeds on that Hairy Vetch but it may well grow fairly well otherwise in low sun areas. Full sun areas get 4 to 6 hours of sun or more. Semi shady areas get 2 to 4 hours of sun, while shady areas can be divided into heavy or light shade because some areas get bright light if no direct sun.

o

I'm not sure if this will help you, but Peaceful Valley has a good cover crop chart. I used it to find a cover crop that would work in my backyard. Unfortunately, it looks like the link is broken ( Cover Crop Chart, but I have the hard copy here. According to their chart, shade tolerant crops include crimson clover, mini-mix grass clover, strawberry clover, and sheep fescue(covar).

o

Don't F'n do it!

I put it in my gardon to be 'organic'. What did it do? Immediately spread to my 20 acres, and my neighbors. I've already put down 200 gallons of herbicide to keep it from taking over. Thanks, Elliot coleman, you prick.

o

To temper the invasive statement, that quality depends greatly on conditions, climate, soil etc.
If you let it drop pods, then it's reasonable to expect proliferation. It also spreads by stolon.

You could try buckwheat; though not a legume thus not N fixing, will grow on almost any soil. If you let it drop seed it will be back, but it's very easy to control and provides lots of green material.

o

Jeff needless to say
You're just not wild about Hairy
although Hairy is wild over you

any Judy fans?

o

• Posted by SoTX 8b/9a (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 0:44

Major laugh at your expense, Jeff, and I do know it's not even funny. For any of the cover crops that can become invasive,cut 'em just as they are coming into bloom. I use purple vetch successfully this way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here