Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do all garden hoses contain a chemical biocide?

Posted by peterk312 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 11:53

I was interested in buying one of those "Neverkink" 50 foot hoses -- until I found out the manufacturer uses a chemical called "Microshield" to prevent mold and mildew from forming. I see there's something called "Microban" used on garden hoses, and this is actually a chemical called Triclosan. Triclosan has scared the heck out of me ever since I found Lysol was adding it to those sponges people use to wash their dishes. The stuff is actually used as a pesticide. But with garden hoses, they must add it to the plastic, and I do not want to use anything with an impregnated biocide chemical.

Does anyone know if these chemicals are standard now on all plastic garden hoses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do all garden hoses contain a chemical biocide?

I don't have the answer to your question, but I DO have a hose recommendation. I am ridiculously enthusiastic about this super-safe, USA-made, drinking-water-safe polyurethane hose from Water right: http://www.waterrightinc.com/collections/watering-accessories/products/slim-lightweight-polyurethane-garden-hose-100-ft

I wrote a blog post about it here: http://ourgreendreamhome.com/2014/04/12/i-love-this-best-hose-ever/

The hose and the water that comes out of it has NO chemical stink, and since it is truly thin and light, it's very easy to use, even the extremely long 100ft lengths that we use around here.

(No, I don't work for the company! I just like their hoses!)

o

I was looking at the Flexon company and they don't seem to say anything about using antimicrobial agents being used.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flexonhose.com/medium.html#allweather

o

Pretty much any rubber/vinyl hose is going to have water tasting like plastic if you leave it in there or let it get hot.

GreenDreamHome's hose is probably a better hose if you're worried about "chemicals".

o

You will find Triclosan, an antibacterial, in many consumer products that are sold to fight "germs". Studies show it is no more effective at controlling those "germs" then just plain soap and water, but the low levels of these antibacterials is allowing the disease pathogens to develop immunities to them.
All water hoses will have some kind of problem that can be resolved by allowing water to flow for a minute or two to flush the hose, and draining that hose and coiling it out of the sun when not in use.

o

Funny how I emailed the Flexon company to ask about biocides in their hoses and they never got back to me. This company doesn't label their products as having the chemical added, but I wanted confirmation.

o

"Studies show it is no more effective at controlling those "germs" then just plain soap and water"

Surely you can link to those studies.

There's a whole ton of them that say its way more effective in killing things than soap. What's in question is whether or not you need to kill things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here