Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ole_dawg

Natural plants that keep bugs away

ole_dawg
16 years ago

Hello all,

I know that there are some plants that, when planted within your garden, keep the beasties, the six and eight legged kind, away from your veggies.

Could someone please clue me in? I am looking to keep away

Flea Beetles

SVB

Squash bugs

all of those and more that eat too much of my garden

Comments (9)

• jean001
    16 years ago

Much of that is folklore.

The best protection is a gardener who has the plant in the right place, supplies the right care, then diligently inspects regularly for unwanted critters.

• peter_6
    16 years ago

dawg: Here's a strange answer for you: certain flowering plants attract predatory insects that devour pest insects, or their larvae or their eggs. These insects are often too small to be noticed, like braconid wasps. The top two attractors in Michigan, based on field trials, are boneset and sweet alyssum. You can obtain sweet alyssum seeds from a store, but boneset is a native and you will need to locate some and then save seeds in the fall. Meanwhile, try floating row covers, until your target vegetables flower, of course. Regards, Peter.

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

Ole Dawg, what you are looking for is something on Companion Planting, intercropping, a means of mixing plants so the insects become confused by the scents and cannot find the plants they want. While some research indicates this does not work, other research has shown it does, and there are those that simply reject something our grandparents did simply because our grandparents did that, whihc does not make much sense if you reject that thought but accept some others without question.

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion Planting

• slacker
    16 years ago

nasturtiums will repel squash bugs . I used them last year and worked well. I also used neem oil mixed in water, i think it was two table spoons in 2 gallons of warm water. Sparyed all over the the leaves even under the leaves , and I saw squash bugs but they were not feeding. worked great

• fuzzy158
    16 years ago

I have had good luck with marigolds as a repellent, I have read that yellow ones are best, but I use yellow, red & orange. pyrethins are a repellent that is derived from chrysanthemum family plants, so I imagine mums would also work

• jwheeler32
    16 years ago

You can also use trap plants. The chinese southern giant mustard works very well for the flea beetle. An early squash is a good trap for squash bugs and borers if you are having a problem with them, just pull it up once infested and burn it, then plant your regualar squash.

Jamie Wheeler is the author of "Organic Gardening Secrets", dedicated to helping you grow healthy, pesticide free fruits and vegetables at home in your own organic garden without spending a lot of time or money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultimate Organic Gardening Secrets

• doveinhead1st
    16 years ago

there is an author i cant remember her name but her books are "carrots love tomatoes" and "roses love garlic". i have found several of her suggestions to be true for my region. lavender, marigolds, castor bean plants (dont remember name and these are poisonos so i didnt use them), and many others help to discourage pests but dont put a barracade around your plants so you still have to tend them. they need you to talk to them anyway ;)

• riverminty
    15 years ago

I've heard that attracting pollinating insects like wasps, bees and the like, will help fight other predatory insects. So this year, I'm planting a lot of umbrella-like plants- you know, the types of flowers in big bunched that have, like, a lot of little sweet-smelling flowers together. Things like sweet allyssum, marigolds, perrenials.

• tobeylilac
    15 years ago

Check out "diatomaceous earth" on the internet. It is natural and kills bad bugs but not beneficial worms. Supposedly keep it away from the flowers where bees go - just put around the bottom of the plants.