Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potatoes and wood ashes

Posted by sophia-m KS (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 13:45

I have heard that potash increases potato yield and also that wood ashes cause scab...since I have a lot of wood ashes should I use them or not?
sophia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potatoes and wood ashes

Depends on your present soil ph. Scab becomes a big problem as you get higher than 5.5. It can be difficult to get high fertility without raising the ph. Leaf-compost is good for that purpose, I had a bumper crop using that last year.

o

Use ashes on potatoes? NO. Too much lime in them.

o

All plant material and manures will modestly raise your PH and improve structure. It is a far safer and totally beneficial way to improve your soil. Be extremely careful with wood ashes and fowl manure.

Wood ashes helps make grandma's lye soap and grits for fighting snow in your driveway.

o

Wood ash has been used for generations as a dip on the cut end of potatoes to prevent rot. As for yield, the link below suggests not. It does say it would be an adaquate replacement for lime should liming be needed and it will provide some nutrients. But, again, you need an acid soil to begin with (the article is from Maine).

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Search on wood ash

o

If you have reason to believe the soil is quite acid, then wood-ash is an option. I broke open some virgin humussy soil a few days ago, and i am adding a bit of ash even to the potatoes. If it brings above 5.5 it's not a disaster. In this part of the continent the chances of getting the soil near 6 with one application is about zero. Scab gets bad around 6 and above.

Scab on the tubers is one of the ways I monitor ph.

o

Many thanks to everyone. I dont know what the ph is, I have never grown potatoes in that soil, (only squash) and so I should probably find out.
I think I will just use some of Gardens Alive balanced root formula and hope for the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here