Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_2_gardening

Please help me ants and gray flat bugs?

new_2_gardening
13 years ago

So as in my previous post...I have a huge pre existing bed that was not taken care of (veggie garden) by my grandmother last year. Currently there is garlic growing and that is all. I was told I could just use this pre existing soil for my new raised beds I planned to build. Well I also assumed that I could use this soil for my tomato seedlings I was transferring into bigger pots (3").

Well I am new to gardening, so I basically just figured I could just dig right in. I noticed TONS and TONS of ants (red and black) and TONS of these silverish grayish flat bugs! I only transferred 2 of my 40 tomato seedlings with this soil and then I ran inside for HELP!! Also my soil doesn't seem like soil, it seems more like sandy dirt if that makes any sense.

Am I going to be able to use this soil that is already here?? Its SOO much and I have to get rid of it (per landlord). I am trying to stay "organic" as much as possible but I am lost at this point. Do I need to treat the current soil first somehow, pr rake it-something?

Should I just go buy bags of soil or compost just so I can transfer my seedlings into larger pots (they really need to be in larger pots now). I found Coast of Maine's lobster mulch locally...however at $8 a bag I would need alot.

Please help me in beginner terms...an easy step by step of where to go from here. I am worried my seedlings will not do well if I don't get them transferred soon.

THANKS@!@

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x