Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cacique1

Gardens Alive Catalog

cacique1
17 years ago

Hello everyone.

I have been reading these forums for several months and finally registered because of the great information that I have been able to take in.

I am curious to know if anyone has purchased anything from the Gardens Alive http://www.gardensalive.com/ company. I was sent their catalog and had an interest in Fall Lawns Alive Fertilizer for grass and the Tomatoes Alive Plus Fertilizer for my garden vegetables and the Earthworm Castings to amend my garden soil.

If no one is familiar with Gardens Alive. Can you direct me to another vendor with reasonable prices for good quality organic products for the lawn and garden vegetables?

Thanks

Comments (18)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I've never ordered from them, but a quick search at the Garden Watchdog revealed overwhelmingly good feed-back. You might want to check that out.

• Dibbit
    17 years ago

They are a bit pricey - if you can use one of their $25 off coupons, or hit a sale, it's worth it. Since some people have NO local access to organic supplies, they are good to have around as a source. I have used them for a number of years, off and on, and have been happy with what I got.

• cacique1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do plan to use the $25off and that really would be the only way I would order from them.

I expect to pay more for organic fertilizer, but 3X more can add up quickly..It really is a tough decision for me. :(

• David Christopher
    17 years ago

I have ordered lots of things from Gardens Alive!, and I've been happy with pretty much everything. My main complaint is that they are very expensive, and I think mostly anything you can find in their catalog can be purchased cheaper somewhere else. Also watch out for shipping charges, which they seem to somewhat rip you off on.

I know this isn't a glowing endorsement, but I just wish they weren't so expensive, because the products they sell are good. I do especially like their seed starting mix "Natural Beginnings" I believe it's called...I've had the best luck with that, compared to other seed starting mixes.

Shipping tends to be on the slow side, and expensive...but otherwise the products are great.

Dave NJ

• hutch123
    17 years ago

I've used their Tomatoes Alive and Veggies Alive and was impressed with both.

I had measurably higher yields on the tomatoes that year.

Since then I have changed over to a home-made concoction which seems to work even better for the tomatoes.

• starwoodfarm
    17 years ago

The only way I use them is with the coupons. I'm surprised they still send them to me. I just bought 3 5 lb packages of kelp meal (page 25 of my catelogue) for use in the attached mix. I live in the boonies and have to go to Portland otherwise for the ingredients.

Merchandise - $26.85
    Basic Shipping & Handling - $8.95
    Coupon Savings - ($25.00)
    Order Total - $10.80

I'm happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mix recipe

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

That fertilizer mix sure does seem to call for a lot of lime considering it's being applied repeatedly to the soil. Yikes, not in my yard. If my soil were alkaline perhaps.

At least the author has this blurb: "This organic fertilizer is potent, so use no more than recommended above. Excessive liming can be harmful to soil."

Back on topic I think Garden's Alive is a very high priced outfit. I think they make their money with those $25 off coupons because they deduct the $25 from the order total *before* their shipping charges.

Still, if it makes a good deal for some that's great, but I have yet to find anything in their catalog I couldn't get cheaper even with the $25 off. Then again I only live in the semi boonies ;-)

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

Wish there was an edit function on the forums. If there was I would replace the word 'alkaline' with 'acidic' in the 3rd sentence in my above post.

• cacique1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far, but for anyone who has mentioned that you can find items cheaper elsewhere, are you talking about brick&mortar locations or places online? If they are online, could you post a link so I can check them out. I want to get a few items ordered in the next few days since I want to plant my vegetables at the end of May.

Thanks

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

What items are you looking for?

• kathyp
    17 years ago

I bought Stay Home ladybugs from them - very disappointing. Both shipments arrived with most of the ladybugs dead, if they ever were alive. After the first order, I emailed them, and was send another shipment free of charge - but the same thing happened. Perhaps for fertilizers adnd such they will be better....

• cacique1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

@justaguy2,
    I am looking for organic garden fertilizer. I have had pretty decent yields for the last few years, but anything thtat would improve my harvest would be nice to try. I grow several different vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, cucs, zuc and several herbs). I was also thinking about an organic grass fertilizer.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

Cacique,

For organic lawn fertilizer locate a grain mill and purchase soybean meal. It spreads via regular drop or broadcast spreaders like a dream (tho it is dusty). It is a terrific lawn fertilizer all by itself as it is high in nitrogen. Apply 10lbs per 1,000 sq ft of lawn. Also terrific for garden nitrogen when just dusted on to the soil. Soybean meal is all I use on my Kentucky Bluegrass lawn and it does terrific.

For organic garden fertilizer you can find many choices online, but Espoma makes a full line that is more widely carried at nurseries and the like (call around). They have premade mixes for particular plants that are mostly organic, but have some of the less objectionable non organic nutrient sources as well and they also sell each ingredient individually so you can make your own if you wish.

A very good all around organic fertilizer is Neptune Harvest Fish Emulsion/Seaweed combo. They sell it from their website for around $25 per gallon including shipping and one gallon dilutes to over 100. It is a complete fertilizer containing all major and minor nutrients.

• led_zep_rules
    16 years ago

I have ordered things from Gardens Alive! several times. Initially I had like a $20 off a $40 purchase coupon, but eventually I got those $25 off any order coupons, and at least twice got $25 of stuff free, just paid maybe $1 or $2 or so. Also evidently I joined their organic club many years ago, so when I ordered online using the free coupon, everything I ordered got 10% off before being free, so I really scored a lot of stuff.

I assume some people really pay full price which is why they can afford to try to lure me back every few years with those coupons. Over the years I got organic fruit tree spray powder, dormant oil, diatomaceous earth, kelp fertilizer, sticky trap goo, organic seeds, and the seed starting mix. I have been happy with all those things. I have lady bugs all over, including in my house (real ones, I took some to the county extension office) so wouldn't have to order them!

Marcia

• loodean
    16 years ago

I suspect all commercial sources of organic garden supplies are going to be pricey, because the marketing gurus have decided that "whatever the market will bear" is somehow a fundamental component of "organic". Several years ago, I ordered some pest control from Gardens Alive  it was expensive, and unfortunately, minimally effective. I have since ordered most of the supplies I canÂt make from Peaceful Valley Farm and Garden Supply. Their listing of biological controls is particularly impressive. However, shipping fertilizers across the country, using up fuel and polluting, seems to me to be particularly non-organic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peaceful Valley

• timshaw
    16 years ago

I have ordered from gardens alive and they were OK but i like biocontrol networks better.
    http://www.biconet.com/

• pablo_nh
    16 years ago

For organic fertilizer- get corn, soy, or alfalfa meal- as mentioned above. $10 for a 50# bag, and no shipping charge.

• GRANGRUNT_GMAIL_COM
    13 years ago

I ORDERED SOME LIVE FLOWERS FROM GARDENS ALIVE.THEY WERE IN BAD SHAPE.LEAVES ROTTING AND THEY DIED.CAN'T GET THROUGH TO THEM BY PHONE.WILL NEVER ORDER FROM THEM AGAIN.