Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic Weed killer for Flower Beds

Posted by Gertrude1 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 14:28

Can anyone recommend an organic weed killer for my flower beds? I have lots of thistle weeds. Suggestions for home-remedies and store brands are appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic Weed killer for Flower Beds

You might want to read this thread - the same qualifiers apply.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0411473720380.html?3

o

Over on the weeds forum, where you asked the same question, it was explained that a weed killer which kills broad leaved weeds like thistles will also kill your flowers. Pulling, hoeing, mulching and hand forking will work. Thistles are easy to spot and pull. Get them before they seed and you will gradually deplete the seed bank in the soil. Weeding is one of the integral activities of gardening and it helps you learn a lot about your plants by getting down close to your garden.

o

The best organic "weed" killers are mulches and cultivators. The next best are a good healthy soil.

o

I would love to know how a "good healthy soil" will control weeds. That's about the silliest thing I've heard. Since weeds are just undesirable plants, there is no way even a great soil can distinguish between them and a desirable plant. And since "good healthy soil" is pretty much recommended for good plant health overall, all you're going to get is very healthy weeds as well!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here