Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_tlc_gw

A safe way to treat wood for raised beds

mrs_tlc
14 years ago

I posted about this on a different thread about raised beds but decided to post it on its own. A very interesting video about a safe, lifetime, way to treat wood. Trying to get my hubby to use it on our fence. It's a bit pricey for 240 ft. of fencing and that is his only concern.

Here is a link that might be useful: cedarshield

Comments (10)

• jean001
    14 years ago

Hmmm. Life time? Not certain about that. Have you ever heard the phrase "If it sounds too good to be true, it is."

Safe? Not certain about that either, particularly because I can't locate any statement of what's in the stuff. Did you find it?

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't used it on wood yet Jean. I have, however, used it in my house and on my pets for fleas, ticks and also those nasty Palmetto bugs we get here in SWFL. My last dog has gotten a horrible case of ticks and her fur was so dense we didn't know until she, and our house, was infested. The Vet was amazed when I told him how we got rid of them. He now uses the stuff himself. It also works well as a mosquito repellant!

As for the wood treatment. I watched the youtube video, which was very informative. I am sure that it is a similar formula of Cedar oil in a carrier like the repellant is. We are going to try it on some outdoor benches we picked up from an abandoned house. They are very weathered so we will clean them, use the wood treatment and then stain them. If it works well, we will then use it for our wood fence.

• jean001
    14 years ago

Sorry, but I'm a skeptic. I doubt anything is lifetime, even cedar oil.

• docgipe
    14 years ago

My Western Cedar fence and patio went down in twenty years.
    I have used Eastern and local Red Cedar with aproximately the same results.

This product was verbally reported to be cedar oil and silicon. I have a funny feeling that it is to good to be true.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

If I had the money I would use it on a raised garden bed. On my pets not a chance in ----.

Curt~

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Why wouldn't you use it on your pets Curt?

• dicot
    14 years ago

It may seem too good to be true and the time span it claims to preserve wood seems far too long to be believed, but a cursory search shows there'some promise to this material. I'd like to see someone post some data that supports or refutes Cedarshield's claims before writing it off. But I start from a skeptical position as well.

Cedarshield = 10% Cedar Oil, 90% Silane Fluid. As wiki tells me, "...silanes are any silicon analogues of alkane hydrocarbons. So the basic silane is an analogue of methane, the simplest alkane. The nomenclature parallels that of alkanes....Unlike methane, silane is also fairly toxic: the lethal concentration in air for rats (LC50) is 0.96% (9,600ppm) over a 4-hour exposure."

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

The product is made from the oil from Cedars, which while they may be rot resistant will, eventually, rot. They advertise the product as "non toxic" and on the MSDS' state it has about the same low toxicity as mineral oil, which means it is not "non toxic", and the inert ingrediants may make the product even more toxic.
    I would just spend the money and buy Cedar instead of some other wood and then applying this product which may, or may not, be as good as the manufacturer says.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

You aren't talking about using the CedarSHIELD on your animals! CedarCIDE, right? Quite a difference.

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I use the formulation "Best Yet" on myself, my animals and spray around my house. It gets rid of those tiny sugar ants immediatley. But then so does Splenda! LOL

Cedarshield would be for the fence. Then they have one for the yard which would be safer than commercial pesitcides, especially near any edibles.