Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which shade cloth % for summer lettuce?

Posted by blueberrier1 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 15:10

Anyone with advice or experience on which % shade cloth will give optimal light for looseleaf lettuce in zones 6-7?

Successfully use Remay early spring and late fall for luscious lettuce (just now have some buttercrunch that made it thru a week of mid 20s).

Farm Tek gives shade %s for various ornamentals, but cannot find info on vegetable crops.
cella jane ky/6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which shade cloth % for summer lettuce?

I would think that the lesser percentages of shade would do - I remember my sister used to use the black fiberglass window screening when she lived in Rhinebeck NY, with good success.

o

Hi blueberrier - because of the temp reduction shade cloth affords (10-15 degrees), the recommended % is tied directly to whatever the current air temps. Here in Z6 I keep 40% shade over it all the time after about May 1st-10th because we are well into the 80's by then.

If I am having 90 degree days I add another layer of 20% and for those July/August days where we range into the 100+ degrees, I add yet another layer of 20%.

I grow mine in a 8'x8' square bed so it is easy to rig shade cloth and I cant the cover just enough to block the worst of the noon-4pm sun.

Good luck. ;)

o

Will floating row cover do the job as well?
-O

o

Organica, not really - one of floating row cover's virtues is that it passes a lot of light and a fair bit of heat. It will help a little, but not as much as actually shading the plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here