Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhubarb_stalker

Alaska Fish Emulsion vs. Neptune's Harvest

rhubarb_stalker
15 years ago

Both of these products are available in my area, but the Alaska product is a lot cheaper than NH.

Is NH worth the extra $$ or not?

Comments (14)

• farmersteve
    15 years ago

I don't know if I can quantify 'worth the price,' but the only difference I see is that Alaska Fish Emulsion is 5-1-1 according to the label on the one in my garage and Neptune Fish Fertilizer is 2-4-1.

So, what do you need more of nitrogen or phosphorus? Neptune's product would probably make a better starter solution while Alaska's might be better as a fertilizer for more established plants.

Steve

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

NH is fish hydrolysate (high DRAWL uh sate) made by letting enzymes partially digest fish parts at room temp. AFE is an emulsion made by heating the fish parts until they boil down into jelly and thus cooking any proteins, vitamins, or enzymes that might have been there. Those are the differences. The people who test those things like the hydrolysate.

• rosesnpots
    15 years ago

I have a question. I was told by the organic garden center in my area that NH is all I need to fertilize my tomatoes. Is this true or should I use something else as well??

• kcobbva_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I've used Alaskan for the last three years with exceptional results. My tomatos and peppers were very prolific. I went out to purchase Neptune, but my local Nursery was out of it. I picked up Neptune yesterday and am now going to use it this year to see if any results change/increase. This one is the Fish/Seaweed mix.

• luke_oh
    12 years ago

Kevin, Would you mind telling me the cost of the NH and what area that your in? Thanks, Luke

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

I have used alaskan fish emulsion in the past without noticing much of a difference other than the smell. I now know that worms way carries the neptunes harvest and it near me and after reading the great reviews Im going to try it this season. I believe they sell it for $11.50

• Chris (6a NY)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Same here. I used the Alaska Fish Emulsion last year for tomatoes. I bought 2 quarts of the Neptune's Harvest this year.

However, it'll be tough for me to determine if there are any differences. I grew all tomatoes in the ground last year, and they were purchased from my local cooperative extension plant sale. This year I'm growing them all in pots, with a homemade potting mix, and I grew them myself. I do have some Alaska fish emulsion left, so maybe I'll do a controlled experiment, using the same variety of tomato.

The price difference between the 2(on Amazon.com) are about $10 for a quart. $7.98 for Alaska and $17.26 for Neptune's Harvest.

• Gardening Organic
    7 years ago

I would go with Neptune's Harvest crabshell. It has nitrogen and phos and also has calcium.

https://youtu.be/A6mDlAUTCUI

• moneyfarms117
    7 years ago

Will the Alaska fish emulsion go through my drip lines like Neptune's Harvest products will?

• Gardening Organic
    7 years ago

No. It is way to thick!

• moneyfarms117
    7 years ago

What if I mix 1oz to each gallon of water

• stevie
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

if you dilute with water, sure. it is a lot thicker than most hydrolyzed fish (Espoma/Neptune/etc).

the original post is old, but i'll share my 2 cents in case anyone cares to know the difference:

both 5-1-1 fish emulsion and the hydrolyzed fish are great. the difference is one is made with no heat (the hydrolyzed), meaning most of the vitamins, oils, amino acids are preserved. the fish emulsion (Alaska) 5-1-1 is mostly fish scrap/guts and it's heated, so naturally it has a bit less micro nutrients and phosphorus.

depending on what you're growing with it, if it were tomatoes and flowering plants i'd go with the Neptune (or Espoma fish) both have more of what flowering plants need and a bit less nitrogen which is idea for flowering/fruiting plants.. for non flowering plants, the 5-1-1 would be a better choice being that they need more on the nitrogen side, and it's cheaper. see if you can source Espoma Fish, it's better than Neptune IMO.. they exclusively use WHOLE cat fish that are raised for this purpose. it's also a bit cheaper than Neptune (about $7-8 for a quart) it's sold at walmart/homedepot now. npk is 2-3-1.

• moneyfarms117
    7 years ago

Thank you. Very helpful.