Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
organic in stores?

Posted by plantknitter 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 16:10

Is there another forum discussing things organic in grocery stores where this would be more appropriate?

I know this forum is about organic gardening, but thought most folks would also be buying organic.
So here's my concern:
My local store has suddenly shown up with a label called 'Natural Directions Organic' for almost everything. And many of the usual organic brands seem to be disappearing.
I can't seem to find out who, what or where this company is.
Wondering where their products come from etc.

Anyone have any info or thoughts?
Is this just another big business getting in on the little guys?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: organic in stores?

Took me 2.1 seconds to do The Google to get their home page, .6 seconds more to click on their 'contact us' link.

Dan

o

Do a google search on key words 'natural directions organics' and you will find many hits to read through.

o

I've done both of those things and none of it has given me the info I want.

Who owns them? and who owns that company?
Where are they located, where do they get their products, when did they start business? etc.

o

Who owns them? Where are they located...etc.

If you won't read their website or ask them yourself, find the answers to the questions by scrolling down the results page when you Google. As Barb said.

Dan

o

...snip...LOS ANGELES, May 20, 2008 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Unified Grocers introduces Natural Directions(r), a new line of natural and organic food products that will be sold in independent grocery stores throughout the western United States. With an initial launch of 120 dry grocery, refrigerated and frozen items, the Natural Directions product line will make healthier, earth-friendly food choices more accessible and affordable to consumers."
========

The entire news release linked below has some interesting data bytes. "Natural Directions supports the small organic farms and producers who are the backbone of the organic movement." ... "its organic farmers and producers are united in their commitment to reducing the use of pesticides and additives in the food supply" REDUCING use of pesticides? HOW SPECIAL. I think that the standard organic OK requires that NO pesticides be used.

Here is a link that might be useful: United Grocers starts Natural Directions Organic

o

I think that the standard organic OK requires that NO pesticides be used.

No. How would you control, say, apple scab without a pesticide? Powdery mildew? Peach leaf curl?

Dan

o

Dan is right. There is a long list of pesticides that are approved for use in certified agriculture of all kinds. Many have been mentioned here several times. But the commercial organic growers have access to a bunch of approved products.

Here's a link to Unified Grocers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

o

And even if they were growing pesticide free, it's not like they're the only potential source of such in the food supply.

o

Thanks for the links, once I started searching for *private label* organics I came up with a lot of info.
The WSJ article mentions how reluctantly the small producers have had to go along with it-- in effect competing with themselves.
the WallMart article is downright scary!--affecting products not just in their stores.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here