Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsp_gw

Walmart to sell new toxic corn

Johnsp
11 years ago

Monsanto has developed a new GMO corn that contains Bt toxin which causes the stomach of insects that eat it to rupture. They are working closely with Walmart to sell this corn and by-products to Walmart to sell to consumers. If this concerns you please go to www.sumofus.org and sign the petition being sent to Walmart to not sell this poisoned food.

Scott

Comments (27)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Go directly by clicking this.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

There is nothing new about Bt modified crops - corn, potatoes and cotton have all been genetically altered as early as 2000 to carry Bt genes which are highly targeted to specific insect organisms. It is debatable to consider Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) a "toxin" - it is a naturally occurring microorganism that has been isolated from soils, insects and plants. It has been a registered pesticide since 1961 and is considered an approved organic pesticide as well.

If you live in either a rural or even more urban/suburban area, it is very likely you have already been exposed to Bt and in far greater concentrations than are likely to be present in any genetically altered crop. Bt is routinely used in agricultural crop dusting and is extensively sprayed in areas where gypsy moths are a concern.

While I can understand folks' concern over some of these developments, this posting seems unnecessarily alarmist without further explanation provided.

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is not pure BT. To quote:

"Monsanto's genetically modified "Bt" corn is equipped with a gene from soil bacteria�a pesticide that breaks open the stomach of certain insects and kills them. Bt toxin has now also been detected in the blood of 93 percent of pregnant women tested; 80 percent of babies; and 67 percent of non-pregnant women.

Mounting evidence shows that the Bt-toxin produced in GM corn and cotton plants is toxic to humans and mammals and triggers immune system responses.

Monsanto are about to introduce a new variety of sweet corn that includes the worst of both worlds: two types of Bt-toxin, and the Roundup Ready gene. So besides containing built-in insecticide, toxic Roundup herbicide will also accumulate in the kernels.---Mercola.com published 10/16/2011.

Roundup and a gene from BT combined with effects from BT alone causing an immune response. Just because something is natural does not mean it is safe for human consumption especially genetically modified organisms. Numerous other highly respected doctors and scientists have warned of the danger of this corn. Certainly you do not think consumption of Glycophosate the main ingredient of Roundup is healthy.

Scott

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To further quote:

"Monsanto�s GM sweet corn contains Bt toxin, a pesticide designed to rupture the stomach of the insects that eat it. Monsanto insists it�s safe for humans -- yet rats who ate potatoes with Bt suffered from intestinal damage and the toxin has never even been tested on humans. Monsanto also claims that Bt toxin breaks down in our digestive systems -- but it has been detected in the blood of pregnant women and unborn babies."---www.Indymedia.org. Published 03/13/2012.

Scott

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

You know, various episodes like this make the rounds of newsgroups and forums on a pretty routine basis and most of the information related - specifically when it comes to the news releases and other special interest group publications - is considerably less than accurate and intended to alarm and frighten rather than correctly inform.

I suggest you go back and reread the article and do some additional research. Bacillus thurengiensis is just that - the same ole Bt that is being used to modify corn and other crops is available for sale over the counter at your local garden center. It is only toxic to specific targeted insects. Registered pesticides go through a long testing and evaluation process. Look at some of the pesticide rating sites that provide factual information on this long used and organic biological control.

a pesticide designed to rupture the stomach of the insects that eat it. I love it!! - this is exactly how these types of alarmist publications twist the facts to terrify the public. Bt was not "designed" to do anything. It is a naturally occurring bacterium that just so happens to have the effect of disrupting the digestive system (not rupturing the stomach) of target organisms. The insects actually starve to death.

As to testing of Bt or Bt modified plants on non-target organisms, yes it has been done. There is no way Monsanto or anyone else would get approval for a new pesticide or GMO'd plant without extensive testing. Check out the attached EPA link for Bt plant incorporated biopesticides to get the details. Scroll down to Part B - Human Health Assessment, page 16.

One is far more inclined to accept or believe the actual source of the information than it is to accept the obviously biased interpretation of that information by the fearmongering publications. Just saying.......:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA Bt BRAD

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Please reread my post it is not BT that has been structured into the corn but a gene from it along with Glycophosate which has serious health issues along with damage to the natural ecosystems where Roundup is sprayed. Again I ask is this really something you want going into your body. Independent scientists doctors and universities all agree these are harmful. And please do the research NO testing has ever been done. Look at who currently heads the FDA and his employment history before making further comments.

Scott

• pbsjones
    11 years ago

I would like to think that most of us on this forum know what Bt and glyphosphate are and what they do, but there's always a newcomer, so this IS a subject that can use some revisiting now and then. That said, the biggest problem with splicing Bt and glyphosphate into plants is (fingers crossed) not a problem of human consumption, but the fact that it effects creatures that are not the intended targets, such as pollinators, as well as creating "super bugs" that have become resistant to Bt and glyphosphate.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    11 years ago

So that's where our bees went.

Delurking

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I definitely agree on that as well. I recently came upon an article which studied this effect on so many bees dying-don't recall where I read it but they found many hives infected with various strains of pesticides and the hives died within a year.

Actually the consumption of Glycophosate is harming humans as well. If you would like more information on this I highly recommend going to www.non-gmoreport.com.

Scott

11 years ago

The only way to learn about these things is to know they exist, hence the discussions. From there, people want to talk about it, and research it in whatever ways. It's not necessary or helpful to be demeaning or derogatory. Someone who is concerned about something and wants to know more about it is not fearmongering, they are discussing. It's a common political tactic, to argue with the fact that there is an argument and put labels on the other person, than to address the issue. "Those people are crazy tree huggers, hippies, fearmongers, whistle-blowers, radicals, unpatriotic, special interest." Yeah, it's special to not want to eat poison or kill the bees upon which humans depend for our survival.

If one examines the FDA, who works there, and their previous employers, no sane person would put blind faith in that entity's veracity. Their track record of approving substances that have dangers that later become apparent, or can longer be concealed from the public is lengthy. Do you think they take pesticides more seriously than medications?

Turn a blind, trusting eye if you want, I'd prefer to know what's going on and see what people are saying. Just because something good is being done doesn't mean everything being done is good. You have to ask yourself, what have people to gain by this? Big corporations obviously have a financial interest. What is the motivation of an individual with no potential for financial gain in an argument? Fame? Only mentally ill people would find this kind of attention a worthy satisfaction. The purity of motive is often what I find most persuasive in any argument, certainly worth overall consideration. It's not just what's being said, it's who's saying it.

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purpleinopp very well put. My only intention is to spread the word about what so many of these large company's are doing. Monsanto certainly leads the pack as for US companies in producing toxic substances which they claim are fit for human consumption. Aspertame is another one of their inventions which has very serious health effects-the facts are out there. Many are living their lives thinking everything is just fine and when they here that something is bad unless it is affecting them directly they do nothing. This is why these companies get away with so much. There is an active movement by the Pharmacutical industry through the FDA to stop the sale of natural herbs-why because they work and these companies cannot patent a natural substance nor make billions of dollars on them like they do on their poisons they sell most of which have horrible side effects.

We can no longer just sit on the side line and ignore this situation. Our freedoms and liberties are secretly and slowly being taken away from us. The insanity of what these companies are doing just boggles my mind-honey bees and Bayer is a perfect example.

Would you still drink store bought pasterized milk if you knew what was in it or continue to give it to children? I hope not because what is in store bought milk is just disgusting as opposed to fresh raw milk which all used to drink before CAFOs were developed. The truth is out there.

Scott

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

The corn with the Bacillus thuringiensis bacterium injected in it has been sold since the 1980's and in the USA no real research has been done on what, if any, affects it has on humans. The European Union places severe restrictions on the growth and sale of these products for that reason. We have been eating many products, not just corn, that have been Genetically Engineered with things that would never be in our foods except via a laboratory.
    Lately other pesticides have been introduced into the genetic structure and some research has indicated that these, along with the systemic pesticides, do have an adverse affect on the pollinators.
    In 1968 a product that slowed the ripening of fruit was introduced and used until other researchers, not USDA or EPA, found there was a 240 percent higher risk of cancer in people eating fruiits sprayed with this product.
    Why are these products allowed to be marketed before proper research has been done to find these problems?

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kimmsr it is because the FDA is controlled and run by former employees of the companies who manufacture and sell these products. Case in point the current head of the FDA is Michael Taylor often refered to as Monsanto's "Golden Boy." He was and is a former top lobbyist for Monsanto and while during the Clinton Administration lobbied the FDA to incorporate rBGH (Bovine Growth Hormone) to be allowed into our milk supply. Scientific research shows this hormone increases the rate of breast cancer,prostrate and colon cancer in people. They also produce Aspertame one of the most poisonuos chemicals ever put into food.

Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death. A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.---Mercola.com.

This is truly criminal and we can only stop this by no longer buying products that are harmful. These huge companies will continue to give us the finger to coin a phrase until we as consumers become aware of what they are doing to us. Hopefully these posts will be seen by many who are unaware and take the appropriate action by not buying these products and tell family and friends. People should also know that many OTC medicines have Aspertame in them. For what reason do you need a sweetener in an OTC pain tablet??? Seems like they are trying to poison us to make us sick so we buy more medicines which fill the pharmacutical industries pockets who are also in bed with the FDA to stop natural herbs from being sold. Folks I'm not some radicle naturalist these are published facts. This information on these conspiracies are proven published facts by well known and reputable doctors and scientists the world over. Do the research it's your life that's at stake.

Scott

• jolj
    11 years ago

I agree with gardengal48.
    This whole thread & not one scrap of proof that this is harmful , just more wild stories.
    Bees are in more danger from the African bee infestation then any other problems.

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All this information has been highly published. Surely Jolj you have seen articles and news stories of these issues??? Unless you have no access to media outlets except the internet you couldn't possibily be unaware. Just Google any of this since you at least have access to the internet. Unless you work for one of these companies and support their greed becoming knowledgable on what they are doing is vital to your continued health if you have it since one in three Americans will develop Cancer and Heart Disease. And look at all the diseases that have reached epedemic porportations with so much poison being put into our foods is it any wonder???

Scott
    g

• jolj
    11 years ago

EPIDEMIC: spreading rapidly & extensively by infection
    Example: out break of influenza.
    Nothing about long term disease like cancer & heart disease.
    The American Cancer Society said nothing about GMO causing cancer.
    The American Heart Association said nothing about GMO causing heart disease.
    But I am sure you know more then the leading scientists, so move over so I can get on the band wagon & beat my drum.
    NOTE:I do not wish to offend any one who has these disease or family & friend who have them. My Father smoked for 63 year before he past from lung cancer.

Here is a link that might be useful: This may help.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Why is Bacillus thuringensis (and relatives) the greatest thing since sliced bread for spraying on gardens to control caterpillars? You ingest the bacteria and their toxins.

BUT suddenly it turns into the demon devil when plants are producing it?

• pbsjones
    11 years ago

Because, when you spray it on, you can control its application, as opposed to putting it in everything, regardless of whether it's needed or not. Also, you can't wash off something that's actually a part of the plant.

11 years ago

Good point, pbsj...

Just because the few things they've done to corn and soybeans to put in our food supply since 1993 haven't yet proven to be harmful in some way does not mean that harmful effects of some type may not become apparent in the future. It may or may not. Corn and/or soy in some form has found its' way into about every package at the grocery store and these are commonly fed to cows, chickens, and pigs. Now they want to start messing with the produce aisle, too.

Unless you make all of your own sauces, grow all of your veggies & fruits, raise all of your own meat and milk, grow all of the grain for your bread, provide all of your own whatever-it-is-that-you-eat, or are able to find everything you want to consume at an organic market, you're a guinea pig for these experiments.

• jolj
    11 years ago

This is a garden site why do we care what Walmart sales?

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

John, my question was directed at those that appear to blindly accept whatever nonesense our government blabbers. The Food and Drug Administration was meant to be a consumer protection agency but rapidly evolved into a producer protection agency. These Genetically Engineered plants have never been tested for anything related to humans by the manufacturers because humans are no the targets of that modification, so not testing is required. Even way back when they were first grown outside the laboratory and forbidden from entering the human food chain and used as animal food (they would not enter the food chain for humans in the meat?) these GE products did get into that part of the food chain, and still no testing of any harm to humans was done.
    Today, since humans have been consuming these products for 40 or 50 years and no one has yet died from eating them (we have been the labratory rated for these companies) they are now presumed safe for human consumption.
    We have no idea what adverse affects on us these have.

11 years ago

jolj, your involvement in the discussion would seem to be an indicator that YOU care.

• greenleaf_organic
    11 years ago

Scott, I for one am glad that you are beating that drum. There is indeed so much information out there which points to the insanity you speak of. Jolj, when the public demanded milk free of rbst, a genetically engineered growth hormone injected into lactating cows to force more milk production, Wal Mart capitulated and now only carries milk free of rbst. This was a grass roots victory for the good guys. Have you seen the video "Food Inc."? I recommend it if not.

• jolj
    11 years ago

Tobacco has been proving to kill & many stores sell it, but none of you say a word. This is about something other then good health Or you would list beer with all this fake hope for a cleaner food. It is just the fade you are raving about this year. There are so many proven harmful thing out there,
    but not what you want to rave about.
    Again this site is about gardening, not political problems.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

Lately new studies are implicating GM genes in the obesity and diabetes epidemic, particularly all products derived from bt-corn. It now known that round up kills by giving a plant what is effectively analogous to AIDS. The massive impoverishment created in the soil system by glyphosate translates into ever more impoverished food.

• greenleaf_organic
    11 years ago

Jolj, you seem not to get it I am afraid. Many of us are organic gardeners for the desire of a clean food supply, and that is what is at stake here. I can assure you, this is no fad! We are serious and in it for the long haul. I can choose not to smoke tobacco, but GM foods are everywhere and do not even have to be labeled. Why? Because given a choice we will not buy GMO foods. Simple.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

If anyone cares it's spelled glyphosate and we were told for years its plant-specific mode of action would not affect humans. Now it even appears on lists of carcinogens.

Berger Pharmaceuticals was eventually subjected to a multimillion dollar federal judgement because it was saying Oxycontin was non-addictive. Now - if I have the figure right - there are something like over a million addicts in my state alone, thanks to the prescribing of Oxycontin.

Nothing to see here folks, just move along. The government will protect you.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner