Return to the Organic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Organic cantaloupe pesticide

Posted by bob411 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 19:31

I looked at the FAQs and saw pesticides, for "soft" bugs. Is there something that will get rid of"I don't know what they are called, they are small, black, and love melons".

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Organic cantaloupe pesticide

:) you need to get a better handle on what they are to figure out how to get rid of them, try a google for cantaloupe pests and once you've identified the critter it'll be easier to find a cure - organics isn't about 'broad spectrum cures', but about creating the right conditions for the crop

Bill

o

Agreed, you MUST identify the specific pest and then do some research on the various control measures. In many cases you can find studies online that compare the effectiveness of various approaches. Also critical is the timing of the application. With many pests you can go nuclear on them and if the timing is wrong, your crop still gets damaged.

o

Thank you for the suggestion to google. I didn't have any luck. They are the same bugs that are attracted to beer. So I googled beer bug, and found a picture of one, but I still don't know the bug's real name. For Japanese beetles, the FAQ suggests a concoction to attract the beetles. Should I try putting out little cups of beer, or would that just attract more?

Bob

o

Take one, or more, of the insects sealed inside a plastic bag to your local USDA Cooperative Extension Service office for proper Identification. Once you know which insect your have then you can properly formulate a plan to protect you melons from them.
Floating row covers offer a lot of protection from numerous insects for members of the cucurbit family, melons, cucumbers, squash, etc. but you will need to remove, or raise, them for pollination to occur.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 7:33

Bob, can you post that bug's picture here or post the URL link? That would be a big help in IDing the critter. Squash bugs (below) are the only pest that's attracted to my melons.

o

I use row covers to exclude pests from my melons until the start to produce flowers. Than I remove the covers so the pollinators can get to them and pollinate the flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Organic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here